All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My two cents.
      #317428 - 10/25/07 02:02 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I know this isn't really posted in the right place. But this is where I saw the posts that made me think this. This is NOT directed at anyone specific. Just my opinion.

I see so many posts on here with people giving their opinion or restating information that they've read elsewhere as undeniable fact. People saying things are possible or impossible. People giving up faith, losing hope, beginning to accept that their lives will never change and that this is the way it has to be forever. There is so much despair here. There is so much doubt and fear.

I wish that everyone could be pain free, comfortable, happy, content...

The thing is that no one can give those things to another person. You have to achieve them yourself.

Here's my opinion. Not fact, just what I know to be true for myself.

EVERYTHING is possible. Yes, everything. It likely will seem impossible, difficult, unreachable. It may feel like a punishment. It may seem unfair or like whatever unseen powers are out there are out to get you. It may take days or months or years to reach your goal. Life is hard, but there is much happiness and possibility to gain within it. You have to be your own advocate for your health and for your life in general. If you know in your heart that a diagnosis or piece of advice isn't right, don't accept it. Go to someone else. Find something that will work. The point is: Don't give up!

Offer help to other people instead of finality. Be willing to be open to new ideas and thoughts. Try different things. You never know what will happen until you try.

No matter how hopeless things may seem, there is always hope. If you're alive, it's not too late. I spent so long thinking that my pain and discomfort would always be and that there was nothing that I could ever do about it. Stop focusing on the symptoms and focus on the possibilities and how you can overcome whatever it is that you are having to deal with.

I hope that this doesn't offend anyone. I'm not trying to tell anyone that they are right or wrong. I'm just saying that I know, for myself, that all things are possible. There is always hope.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My two cents. new
      #317433 - 10/25/07 02:11 PM

Unregistered

hoho.
At first I wanted to find you and choke you, but I "didn't give up" and kept reading, and you know what? You made me feel better. Keep it up and keep climbing. I really hope I catch up to you some day soon.
Sarah

#317441 - 10/25/07 03:14 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thank you for this, Hohoyumyum! It's always good to be reminded that things can and will get better! I needed that reminder today.

I agree and one more thing... new
      #317443 - 10/25/07 03:31 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I was just thinking about this myself today.

Like you said, no one can give an improvement to another person. It's a process that happens within each and everyone of us. And of course when you're ill you want to be well again - NOW! You don't want to have to wait weeks, months or even years. But that's just the thing. You can try new strategies and make changes to do the best you can and know how to for yourself and that you can do over night. But even changes take time in general before they turn into your new lifestyle and routine. But the change in the way you think and feel about things - that does take time. I have had IBS since about '97 though it didn't get bad until the summer of 2005. In the beginning when I didn't know what to do and I was going through test after test and getting told there was nothing wrong and nothing they could really do to fix it I felt so miserable. Then I found the right loperamide dose and things got a lot better physically. Still I had suffered so much mentally from my IBS that I was very vulnerable. In the summer of 2006 I found this website and for me the most important thing was to have some idea of what to eat and do to feel as good as possible so that I didn't have to think and analyze so much all the time. And one important thing here is that the advice agreed a lot with my own intuition. I have had ups and downs since, mostly being all right physically but I have had some periods when things have been a bit worse. The point is that over time I have become much calmer and more optimistic. In the beginning I would panic over every slight discomfort, noise or sensation from the digestive system and every time my BM were a bit looser than I like them to be. Gradually though I have learned and am still learning to take it easy. Sure I can still get a bit worried or stressed about these things but the reaction is so much milder. To get to the point (finally) I am able to feel more relaxed because I have gotten to know my body, and this condition and got to feel better and gradually built up the courage to do more things. I still have a bit of a way to go before I get back to living my life without being hindered at all by IBS but I'm feeling more and more confident that I will get there. And this is not something that could have happened for me over night. It needed time. Changing your thought patterns takes time. So don't give up!

Another positive note is that once I get to the point where the IBS doesn't hinder me anymore, then I will have a much healthier life overall than I would have had if I would never have got IBS in the first place. I used to push myself so hard, suffering from constant performance anxiety. I would work hard, skip meals or forget to eat. I would stay up all night studying for exams or writing reports for hand in assignments. I just didn't take care of myself. I am still working with these issues and I have learned so much already. I try to listen to myself now and my body rather than comparing myself with other people, and I think that is a very important lesson to learn.

So all of you out there who are struggling - hang in there and try to be patient. It may take some time and maybe longer than you want it to, but try to never lose hope that it will get better with time.

/Ulrika

#317446 - 10/25/07 03:37 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Thanks a lot for this post! It is good to be reminded that things are possible.
And so I'll keep trying...:)

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#317460 - 10/25/07 04:57 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

You must not be too sick then...

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#317463 - 10/25/07 06:02 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

You are always such a ray of sunshine on the many cloudy, dreary days of IBS!! We are so lucky to have you and your kind, uplifting words!! Thanks!!! Hugs!

MeiMei

I can assure you... new
      #317468 - 10/25/07 06:33 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

...that I was very sick for a long time. Years, in fact. At times, I was so sick and weak I couldn't even stand up. I would literally collapse under my own weight. IBS isn't the only bad thing to happen to me, not by a long shot. Optimism and determination doesn't necessarily mean one hasn't endured hardship.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: I can assure you... new
      #317475 - 10/26/07 04:23 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Very well said. I am actually finding myself gradually more optimistic. And I have always been very determined. And look at what I've been through: paralysis from waist to toes from which I didn't fully recover, bladder emptying issues, bowel incontinence, bladder stone removal, ovarian cyst removal, nerve pain in the genital area and then IBS-D which in combination with my paralysis induced bowel incontinence is no picnic. I'd be really upset and offended if anyone would even suggest that my determination and optimism come from having an easy life!

/Ulrika

Actually, hohoyumyum and Ulrika, if you think about it right ... new
      #317487 - 10/26/07 09:01 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Tatyana's post is kind of funny because it's such a perfect example of the kind of attitude hohoyumyum talks about at the beginning of her original post. It's sort of like one of those fights where you yell at your husband that he disagrees with every single thing you say and he yells back, "No, I don't!". It drives you crazy but but you just have to laugh.

And I agree with you both. It's certainly true as hhyy says, that "Optimism and determination doesn't necessarily mean one hasn't endured hardship." In fact, I would go further and argue that it's only when one has endured hardship that one truly discovers determination.

As for optimism, it continually amazes me how many people on these Boards suffer terribly and yet get up every morning and keep going, keep hoping for themselves, and - even more remarkably - keep offering support, encouragement, and hope to others here.

Thanks for a most positive post, hohoyumyum.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3497

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review