All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Safe foods
      #317231 - 10/23/07 08:56 PM
maccrumbs

Reged: 10/23/07

I was looking at the Brand Name Recommendations for IBS-Safe Foods list. I did some grocery shopping recently and I noticed that some of the items that were reccomended in this list had milk in them. Particuarly the Health Valley granola bars. I thought that dairy products (milk) was a IBS trigger. Please explain to me why some items that have milk in them are on the list. Thanks in advance

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe foods new
      #317236 - 10/24/07 02:29 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Although diary is a trigger its content in certain foods such as some granola bars is so little that most of us can eat it without problems. With that being said you still need to figure out what works and doesn't work for you. We all differ in our levels of sensitivity so what's safe for me may not be safe for you.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#317265 - 10/24/07 10:57 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think that list needs to be updated. Some products change ingredients, and I think the Healthy Valley granola bars are one of them. Some of the cereals have also changed and now contain HFCS. Morningstar products, which used to be dairy free, now contain dairy -- even their original "burgers" and grillers. I don't know why companies have to mess with a good thing! I've had to learn the hard way to read ingredients for everything, even if it's something I've been eating for a while and was something I considered safe.

#317267 - 10/24/07 10:59 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I don't care what anybody else, I avoid dairy like it's a life and death matter.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#317280 - 10/24/07 12:48 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

one of the cereals I used to eat just recently added somthing i cant eat, so i make sure to read all labels. I do not eat any dairy or anything that has it in it.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#317317 - 10/24/07 04:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes I bought some meatless burgers recently and dairy was number two or three on the list. Things always change and it is good to bring attention to it here. The list can be updated. Usually products have to say if they have dairy now on the package and this speeds up checking the label.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#317341 - 10/24/07 07:55 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

That's an excellent post, Maria! I truly believed that these foods contain so little dairy (or not even milk but only certain extracts such as casein) that they were OK to eat. I didn't consider the fact that the manufacturers change the recipes - it's probably cheaper that way . Anyways, thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3313 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1371

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review