All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
To Sand's I am *NOT* saying to take out the IF! (m) new
      #316823 - 10/17/07 11:35 AM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

Yeah I guess its just very hard to understand for me because I did low carb for soo long that all but the carrots, mushrooms and squash seem like junk food on the safe list. My diet used to consist of Ezekial toast with PB for breakfast, and coffee, romaine lettuce salad with grilled chicken, and then for dinner it was chicken and veggies, or eggwhites in a low carb tortilla and a sugarfree fudgsicle for dessert( only 4 carbs and 40 cals)

I ate this way for about 2 years except the occasional dinner out with my hubby and holidays and stuff.
This way allowed me a BM every other day, but gas after every meal....then usually twice a month when i was stressed or didnt get enough sleep or who knows why I would get backed up and not be able to "go" for 3-4 days and then all of a sudden of the 3rd or 4th day i would have to run to the bathroom with D. And as I said GAS and bloating after every meal. and my tummy always feels distended

So i dont know I think I just need to scale things back and maybe try one thing a at time, I went from 0 to 100 because I got so excited that this was the answer to my misery

So now I think its better for me mentally if I just go back and try each thing. So I am going to go back to my eating and try adding heathers fiber. maybe that will help and allow me to get off the aloe that i have been taking for 2 years. Also I am going to continue to not do any dairy. I never drank milk b4 but as I said I did have a little cheese here and there and the fudgesicle nightly.( im a sweets girl and this was my only lil sweet i would allow myself)no more though

so ill start with those things and see how i do....but its just soo confusing cause you look at posts like tatyana wrote and basiclly all she ate was rice,oatmeal, wheat bread, white bread and fruit. I would be a blimp! but thats what made her have 3 BMs a day so I think ok maybe thats what I need to do....but i try it and no it has the opposite affect on me.....

anyway so i guess i jsut have to go back and take baby steps. thanks for your reply...still pretty down but trying to have faith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

To Zara new
      #316825 - 10/17/07 11:37 AM
haleym

Yeah I guess its just very hard to understand for me because I did low carb for soo long that all but the carrots, mushrooms and squash seem like junk food on the safe list. My diet used to consist of Ezekial toast with PB for breakfast, and coffee, romaine lettuce salad with grilled chicken, and then for dinner it ws chicken and veggies, eggwhites or chicken in a low carb tortilla and a sugarfree fudgsicle for dessert( only 4 carbs and 40 cals)

I ate this way for about 2 years except the occasional dinner out with my hubby and holidays and stuff.
This way allowed me a BM every other day, but gas after every meal....then usually twice a month when i was stressed or didnt get enough sleep or who knows why I would get backed up and not be able to "go" for 3-4 days and then all of a sudden of the 3rd or 4th day i would have to run to the bathroom with D. And as I said GAS and bloating after every meal. and my tummy always feels distended

So i dont know I think I just need to scale things back and maybe try one thing a at time, I went from 0 to 100 because I got so excited that this was the answer to my misery

So now I think its better for me mentally if I just go back and try each thing. So I am going to go back to my eating and try adding heathers fiber. maybe that will help and allow me to get off the aloe that i have been taking for 2 years. Also I am going to continue to not do any dairy. I never drank milk b4 but as I said I did have a little cheese here and there and the fudgesicle nightly.( im a sweets girl and this was my only lil sweet i would allow myself)no more though

so ill start with thsoe things and see how i do....but its just soo confusing cause you look at posts like tatyana wrote and basiclly all she ate was rice,oatmeal, and fruit. I would be a blimp! but thats what made her have 3 BMs a day so I think ok maybe thats what I need to do....but i try it and no it has the opposite affect on me.....

anyway so i guess i jsut ahve to go back and take baby steps. thanks for your reply...still pretty down but trying to have faith

My advice it to try Heather's approach - not someone else's (m) new
      #316836 - 10/17/07 04:31 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is the problem with the Boards. They can be a great help but they also can be very confusing. My advice is to try Heather's approach as she describes it in her books and on the Website outside the Boards and not worry about the 10 million different things various people on the Boards are trying. In fact, stop reading the Boards. Read Heather's "The First Year:IBS" and do what she says. And it's going to take more than 13 days to get your tummy straightened out:
Quote:

Diarrhea and pain should resolve in just a few days. Constipation, especially if it's been chronic, can take several weeks after you initially calm down your gut. Please hang in there.

I don't why I keep beating my head against this wall but I remain terribly puzzled by your conviction that "all but the carrots, mushrooms and squash seem like junk food on the safe list". First, I just can't understand how someone can believe that oatmeal; barley; soy; quinoa; corn meal; potatoes; yams; sweet potatoes; turnips; rutabagas; parsnips; beets; chestnuts; avocados; bananas; applesauce; mangoes; and papayas are all junk food. Second, obviously the low-carb way you were eating was driving your gut crazy. Shouldn't you be listening to what your own body is telling you about what food it needs rather than worrying about what "everybody" else says about carbs?

Before you give up on the Heather's approach, I hope you'll read through *all* the questions on her FAQ page. Whatever you decide to do, though, I wish you good luck with all this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: No one can see a problem????-loosing hope new
      #316844 - 10/17/07 05:42 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Have you tried the magnesium (suggested in my other posts)?

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Re: To Zara new
      #316858 - 10/17/07 07:46 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

did your sugarfree fudgicle have artificial sugar? I'm thinking that is what caused your tummy problems? Dunno. As for me, if I eat any kind of sugar, I don't feel right after eating a little too much, especially the artificial kind. I also can't tolerate yeast too well.

#316863 - 10/17/07 10:09 PM
haleym

haven't had time to go get some yet... do they have it at trader joes?

#316889 - 10/18/07 08:09 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

You can buy magnesium at any store that sells vitamins or has pharmacy, I don't know about Trader Joes.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 671 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4704

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review