All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question on starting acacia
      #316737 - 10/16/07 08:21 AM
laurah

Reged: 04/20/06

I have had severe IBS-C that has left me housebound for years. My primary problems are abdominal pain, bloating that leaves me exhausted, and cramping. For years I have been eating Fiber One or All Bran to try to keep things moving. I have eliminated them now, and am slowing dropping my other source of fiber, Weetabix (mostly soluble fiber, but some insoluble) while adding acacia. I'm being very conservative, starting at 1/4 tsp twice a day. For the first two days, I felt so much better; my abdomen was flat, everything seemed quiet, and my energy was up. But on the third day--yesterday--I woke up with cramps, diarrhea, exhaustion, and a total toxic feeling. I was doubled over for a while. I had tremendous bloating and pain all day yesterday. I went off the acacia completely, and lowered my Weetabix too. Today things are finally quieter again. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble when starting acacia? The night before this happened, I didn't manage to dissolve the acacia well, and ate it as more or less a paste. Could this have been the cause? This morning I'm starting the acacia again, 1/4 tsp, and hoping for the best. I feel so discouraged. I really want this to work!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question on starting acacia new
      #316768 - 10/16/07 01:18 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

But on the third day--yesterday--I woke up with cramps, diarrhea, exhaustion, and a total toxic feeling. I was doubled over for a while. I had tremendous bloating and pain all day yesterday. I went off the acacia completely, and lowered my Weetabix too. Today things are finally quieter again. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble when starting acacia?

Yes, unfortunately, others have had bad reactions. All we can say is every body reacts differently. It is disheartening to read how wonderfully something works for some....and then you try it and it doesn't.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Question on starting acacia new
      #316782 - 10/16/07 05:34 PM
Kiki

Reged: 10/16/07
Loc: New England

My first two weeks on acacia were heaven on earth--no more foul-smelling bowel movements, regular movements, less gas. Then after about two weeks things started to bother me more. I kept going up with the acacia little by little--I think maybe I just wasn't taking enough acacia and my body needed more. It is better again now, but somehow never again was it like those first two weeks. (I've been using acacia and the diet about 5 months.) Don't give up though--I don't think there is any easy answer on this but a rather a series of trial and errors.

Re: Question on starting acacia (To Kiki) new
      #316864 - 10/17/07 10:54 PM
Gbridelady

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Indiana

I was diagnosed with IBS-C back at the end of May of this year and immediately started on Heather's Acacia. Before starting on it I never knew when I would have a BM, days would go by and then terrible cramping, and then finally the diagnoses of IBS. I was pretty skeptical about the Acacia but since my butthole of a so-called GI Dr. didn't do anything for me but give me the colonoscopy and tell me it looked great and to go home and eat whatever I wanted, I figured I might as well be my own Dr. After all, could I feel any worse? And like you, the first couple of weeks I was amazed. My BMs were great, I didn't have gas or bloating. But after using it about a month the gas and bloating started and has been with me ever since. I think I need to start figuring out what it is that is causing these problems because I didn't use to have them. I take 3/4 tsp. Acacia AM & PM and am contemplating on starting Natural Calm at bedtime to possibly help with the problem. So for what it's worth, I wish I could have those first weeks I started on Acacia back -- I felt better then. I'm having a hard time with this balancing act of Soluble and Insoluble Fiber Diet. Hope you are feeling better.

--------------------
Gloria
IBS-C, lactose intolerant

Edited by Gbridelady (10/17/07 10:58 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1024

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review