All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ugh
      #316423 - 10/11/07 08:14 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

This diet is so depressing i'm finding myself wanting to comfort eat. Plus, how do i know that it'll really work? I don't want to cut out all the foods i love and then have it not working. Sorry, been up all night with severe nausea, bad wind and stomach cramps so feeling particularly fed up and tired... and confused.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ugh new
      #316432 - 10/11/07 09:57 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I'm so sorry you feel this way! For me the biggest problem isn't the diet itself but small meals. The only thing that I really miss is dairy; the other stuff I either never cared for or learned to make an IBS friendly version at home. So that's not much of a problem. HOwever, i find it so hard not to eat as much as I would like! I do feel hungry all the time. But then if I overeat I feel really bad later, even if it was a safe meal.
You're right, it would be easier if we KNEW that we'd get better. This way I guess we can only hope.
What helps me to stick to the diet is that I've tried different approaches and they made me feel even worse. So I think I know I'm on the right track....just wish it didn't take so damn long
I hope you feel better soon! Sending hugs across the ocean

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#316511 - 10/12/07 08:27 AM
welshsarah

Hi Zara,
Thank you for your lovely reply and encouragement. I really appreciate it and definitely helped me feel better, mentally at least. Once my digestive system starts to calm down i'm sure i'll feel better. It may sound ridiculous but psychologically i feel so much better after i've been able to have a BM as i don't feel so blocked up. It's weird how such a thing can have such a positive effect! Anyway, thank you so much again for replying.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316517 - 10/12/07 08:59 AM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

I feel you here. I just started this a week ago and I miss sweets!!!! i have a sweet tooth and its REALLY hard to find anything sweet that isnt crazy high it sugar and carbs. all the receipes sound fantastic but I dont want all that sugar. I used to eat sugarfree fudgesicles, golden sppon frozen yogurt( its low suar low carb) or sugar free jello with a lil cool whip!!But i cant have any of that anymore so I am frustrated too cause I love my sweets

#316520 - 10/12/07 09:06 AM
welshsarah

Yeah, i have a major sweet tooth too. But chocolate is my major weakness. I miss it SO much! And i'm not really into baked goods. However, i didn't realise that we weren't allowed sweets on this diet! I've been eating wine gums (love them!) and jelly bellys to help with my sugar cravings... Darn it! Are we really not allowed sweets...?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316525 - 10/12/07 09:50 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

yeah, I feel the same way when it comes to having a good BM. It just makes my day

We're not allowed to have sweets? I didn't know that, I thought that as long as it was low-fat, dairy free and without artificial sweeteners it was ok. But it does make sense. Sometimes when I happen to eat a lot of candy (all sugar based) within a few consecutive days I actually get worse.

I also LOVE chocolate! Now I realize I was "lying" in my previous post - I miss chocolate too ! There's not an IBS safe version that I can make at home . I mean, when I'm craving chocolate a safe chocolate brownie just doesn't do the trick for me! That's why I just don't buy it anymore, I can't just have a piece or two; I usually ended up eating the entire bar and had to pay for it later .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: It's okay to have sweets on the EFI diet! (m) new
      #316540 - 10/12/07 11:26 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

As long as they're dairy free and not high in fat. Sugar (sucrose) is NOT a trigger. I think anyone who is feeling deprived should (please) re-read through the guidelines (especially the section about "Creative substitution, not deprivation") and check out Heather's recipes. There are a lot of safe and tasty meals. You really don't have to feel that you're missing out on good food while trying to eat safe for IBS.

High Fructose Corn Syrup should be eaten in small amounts because it can cause gas. Sugar alcohols (sorbitol, malitol, etc) and other sugar substitutes should be avoided if possible.

#316545 - 10/12/07 11:48 AM
welshsarah

Phew, we are allowed to have sweets! That's a relief! However, like you Zara i still find that if i have too much of it my stomach reacts. But hey ho.

To be honest, i still have chocolate and milk chocolate at that. I just can't resist! That and the fact that i haven't done dairy-free yet is probably why the diet's not working!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1297 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2454

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review