All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
milk of magnesia
      #316376 - 10/10/07 06:01 AM
Taryn Jodi

Reged: 10/24/06

has anyone used milk of magnesia to relieve constipation. my GI recommended it, but i read that it's not good for IBS-ers to use?!?! i'm confused. i think i need a new GI.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: milk of magnesia new
      #316378 - 10/10/07 07:10 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I've used milk of magnesia for my constipation before and whilst it was effective i wouldn't use it again. I only took the minimum dose and it made my really D and gave me a sore bottom in the end. I'd recommended just taking magnesium supplements for your constipation as i find them much gentler and more naturally effective. Hope this helps. I wouldn't go so far as to say you need a new GI though as milk of magnesia is a very common "natural" cure for constipation.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316379 - 10/10/07 08:00 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I agree with welshsarah, just take magnesium supplements instead.
I've used MOM before and it never worked when I really needed it (I took my dose in the late afternoon and expected to have BM in the morning). It usually took at least another day before I finally did. I was really nauseated during this time and had lots of painful bloating.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#316381 - 10/10/07 08:13 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi I have took it a couple of times for c and it has really helped me! No side affects either. But it taste horriable!!!
hope this helps!
emmasmom
ibs-c
lactose interolant and gas

#316383 - 10/10/07 08:21 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Yeah I forgot to mention the taste ! First time I actually thought I was going to throw up but it's better if you have a bite of bread right after.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#316386 - 10/10/07 09:08 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

On this web page Heather says:

There are no well-established prescription drugs for constipation-predominant IBS. The use of chemical laxatives (such as Milk of Magnesia or ExLax), which tend to stimulate the bowel by causing an irritated lining, is not recommended as they can easily lead to dependency and they're harmful to the colon.

Milk of Magnesia is ok to use for the occassional relief of C but it is not wise to use it for a prolonged period of time. It can lead to laxative dependency.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#317664 - 10/30/07 10:59 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

New to this board and just have a question about magnesium supplements. Does it matter if they are magnesium oxide or citrate. I checked them out at pharmacies, supermarkets and they all seem to be oxide, however, in researching this, somewhere I read that taking magnesium citrate supplements are better for constipation....Also, how many grams do you take?

Thanks.
Sharon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4581

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review