All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
No one with IBS-C has gotten more constipated by adding all these white carbs ???? I am!!
      #316263 - 10/08/07 12:46 PM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Me too new
      #316267 - 10/08/07 01:06 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

You're not alone. How long have you been doing the diet?

I make sure to eat plenty of Insoluble fiber to try and help the C...but I'm still very constipated.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: No one with IBS-C has gotten more constipated by adding all these white carbs ???? I am!! new
      #316276 - 10/08/07 02:03 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

When I started eating all these white carbs I was forced to eat Heather's fiber with every meal and then spent an hour on the tiolet trying to get it out of me. Carbs plug me up really badly so I am back to eating wheat and fruits/veggies.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Re: Me too new
      #316278 - 10/08/07 03:39 PM
David Shepherd

Reged: 02/04/06

I'm in the same boat. Rice makes me bloat like crazy. I can't seem to handle wheat products or any sort of baking (I've tried gluten-free with rice flour, potato flour, tapioca etc - same results). I've had some success with potatoes, but only white. I seem to react to sweet potatoes (and carrots) and end up with orange poops. I was having success for a few days with oats (cheerios) but they became problematic as well.

I ususally manage to poop at least once a day (usually one big dump in the morning) using Natural Calm (1-2 tsp at bedtime) and Natren 3in1 pro-biotics, but spend the day getting progressively more bloated.

I've been fighting to incorporate the right balance of soluble and insoluble and had some success for a while with pureed peas mixed with white potatoes, but again after a while it stopped working for me.

I'm especially frustrated because I can't seem to handle any amount of protein without things slowing to a crawl. Chicken/turkey breast, white fish, beans of any kind, even with digestive enzymes or Beano leave me sluggish, backed up, and falling asleep.

I'm working my way back up on the acacia powder (1.5 tsp currently) and hoping it helps. It seems to have something to do with keeping enough bulk in my system to keep my colon from spasming, but at the same time I have to be careful not to eat too much or it still does. I'm still looking for that balance point and trying to find the right regular routine. I'm in a job where it's difficult to be able to eat every couple of hours and have a hard time finding foods that are easily portable and can be consumed on the go that don't just back me up or set things off.

Re: Me too (to Dave) new
      #316282 - 10/08/07 04:21 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Dave,

What do you eat for breakfast? Can you eat oatmeal? My heart goes out to you. My simptoms are much like yours (constipation, bloating, gas, feeling tired and sleepy).

Be well
Tatyana.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#316285 - 10/08/07 04:45 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Can you do soy for protein?, or egg whites?

Also, I find protein from oily fish better for my C; e.g. salmon and tuna. I'm all for small amounts of healthy fats (omega 3, canola oil etc.) for helping my digestion out.

Also, as Tatyana mentioned can you have oatmeal? Cause it's quite high in protein for a grain I believe.

On original topic; I do have oatmeal for brekky, have sweet potato at dinner and white bread at lunch or hokkien noodles which have wheat but only about 30g of carbohydrate per 100g, and made with canola oil.

I don't know; I mean, fruit and veg they're all carbs too aren't they? it's the elusive SF / IF balance.
Tatyana how do find being back on whole-wheat bread?? Is it helping?

#316288 - 10/08/07 05:01 PM
David Shepherd

Thanks, Tatyana. Oatmeal seems to be too heavy for me at the moment. I had some success with it a few months back when I was at 3tbsp of acacia daily. Maybe when I get back there again. I was eating generic cheerios with rice milk last week and it worked really well for a few days and then I was right back to being backed up and spasms. I previously had some success with generic rice crispies & rice milk followed by a banana peach smoothie, but again, after working for a while, I was back to the usual.

I've also tried cream of brown rice, quinoa flakes, and buckwheat cereal. No luck so far. I found a recipe for a banana pudding that seems to sit well when I mix my acacia in it, but I can't live on it - it's a 1/4 cup of sugar per serving!

I made a pumpkin variation (pure pumpkin, potato starch, rice milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, banana) for supper with a few bites of chicken breast and man have I bloated up. I'm guessing it was the pumpkin as I've also had trouble with sweet potato.

<sigh> Keep on trying..;)

#316289 - 10/08/07 05:05 PM
David Shepherd

I'm experimenting with soy with beano, but not having much success so far. I don't know about egg whites. I've used them in my baking and I've wondered if they've been the problem, or something else. I haven't tried them straight on their own.

I'm thinking of picking up some brown rice protein just to get something in me for the meantime. I really don't like fish, but have tried some whitefish like cod and halibut. Again, it slows my digestion right down and leaves me sleepy and loagy.

I'm not eating any fats. Maybe that's part of my problem.

#316293 - 10/08/07 05:43 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Try adding some ground flax seeds to your morning cereal. I add a tbl to my cream of rice cereal every morning and boy does it do the trick. I also add it to my muffins that I eat every day. Maybe try using miralax for awhile. It works wonders for getting things moving in a kind way.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#316296 - 10/08/07 07:10 PM
David Shepherd

Thanks for the reply, blackrvn. I've experimented with flax seed both ground myself and the Fibresmart from RenewLife. It was hard to tell if it helped or not.
I've still got some that I could experiment some more with. Right now I'm trying to simplify to try and tell what's helping and what's not.

I've never tried Miralax. The thing is, I don't get constipation in terms of hard little pebbles, or even particularily hard stool. Things just get really sluggish and don't move. When they finally do it's usually flat, ribbon like stool (which apparently is from colon spasms?). The Natural Calm and probiotics seem to get things cleared out once a day which I guess is pretty good given that others here are regularly waiting days to poop.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4120

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review