All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can Someone Please Explain Something for Me
      #316095 - 10/04/07 08:00 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

i recently read how Celiac's can be mistaken for IBS so in addition to getting tested (results pending) i decided to cut out gluten from my diet. since i cut it out my intestines have gone into a spastic state and i feel very bloated and am more C than usual and its putting pressure on my bladder and making me very uncomfortable all around. can anyone explain this? if gluten is so hard to digest then how come removing it is making me feel worse? thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Something for Me new
      #316099 - 10/04/07 11:54 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Maybe you're not getting enough of a soluble fiber base now that you've cut out gluten. Usually, you'd have bread or pasta as a sort of cushion, what have you replaced that with when you eat a meal? Rice? Potatoes?

OK 59 people viewed my post new
      #316150 - 10/06/07 04:19 PM
jenny833

and only 1 response? Come on now - someone must have somthing useful to say

#316151 - 10/06/07 04:39 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Did you doctor do a blood test for celiacs disease?

Gluten is not hard to digest. In celiacs disease gluten triggers the immune system to damage the villi in the small intesting.

It is quite possible that you don't have celiacs disease and you don't have to eliminate gluten from your diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: OK 59 people viewed my post new
      #316156 - 10/06/07 06:04 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

When did you start the elimination diet? How many days ago?

Re: OK 59 people viewed my post new
      #316162 - 10/07/07 05:07 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would say the exact same thing as Maria. Did you replace wheat with anything else in your diet or just cut it out? Are you getting the same amount of fiber?

Let us know what you're diet is like now. Without that info we can't be of much help.

--------------------
Kat

Re: new
      #316180 - 10/07/07 10:16 AM
jenny833

I've replaced wheat products with rice, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn products and my colon is in knots.

re new
      #316182 - 10/07/07 10:44 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I tried glutten free for three months last year, and was miserable, my stomach went crazy, I had rice with every meal. gluten free rice sticks, baked glutten free bread. at the end I saw no improvement, and felt worse, Im back to the with glutten version of the ibs diet, and feel alot better. I hope you start feeling better soon

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#316188 - 10/07/07 10:55 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Jenny, wheat has insoluble fiber which helps to clean out your intestines. If you're eating potatos, rice and etc, that's a lot of starch and that plugs me up to. I am also prone to constipation and Heather's diet doesn't completely work for me. I eat wheaties (cereal) and wheat doesn't seem to bother me, it helps me "go" in the mornings. If wheat doesn't bug you, eat it. Eating lots of white starchy things will plug you up for sure.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Results? new
      #316196 - 10/07/07 02:15 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hey Jenny,

have you heard back about your coeliac test yet?

If negative... I say get back on the wheat! Bread (white for me) helps for me, I always feel things are processing better with some bread or noodles in there.

Good luck

#316320 - 10/09/07 08:51 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

i decided to cut out gluten from my diet. since i cut it out my intestines have gone into a spastic state and i feel very bloated and am more C than usual and its putting pressure on my bladder and making me very uncomfortable all around

I experience the same thing...so what are we to do? My doctor told me that gluten free diets can be very constipating depending on how much "substituted" rice products you use in place of foods containing gluten.

What are you gonna do...diet wise? This is so very confusing, isn't it.

Did you get your test results back yet?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Dizzy new
      #316321 - 10/09/07 08:55 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How were you worse? More C or more D? Why did you go GF to begin with? Just asking as I am experiencing this same situation.

So glad you had the courage to return to gluten products so that you feel better!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#316334 - 10/09/07 01:50 PM
kim123

Wouldn't fruits and veggies be good natural fiber, as well? If your colon is in disarray, I can see that some of them may bother your gut. But, once you heal your gut, you will probably be able to better tolerate them. Was that way for me, anyway. I try not to eat corn/corn products as it is commonly contaminated with mycotoxins(fungal poisons) which have shown to contribute to many health problems.

for kim123... new
      #316337 - 10/09/07 02:25 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Kim, so do you cut out dairy as well as gluten and follow the EFI diet?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: for kim123... new
      #316346 - 10/09/07 04:00 PM
kim123

Actually, I don't follow any "diet" other than try to limit grains, including wheat, corn, try to stay away from all yeast products, limit my dairy (very little milk, but use half and half with coffee, also yogurt bothers me), and eat "lots" of veggies but try to limit potatoes and never corn (a grain). Fruits I eat are mostly berries (high in antioxidants and good for what ails ya), but eat others as well, and eat all meats/fish/poultry. You really have to try and find what works best for "you". Everyone is different. But I do know that fungal toxins are commonly found in all grains, and high carbs/sugar contribute to my ill health, so I do try to limit those.

Re: for kim123... new
      #316372 - 10/10/07 04:07 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Thanks for your reply Kim. I found it very interesting as your diet sounds like the one that seems to work for me. I've cut out wheat and try not to have a "carb heavy" diet and i minimise dairy but don't cut it out. For example, i'll have milk in my tea and a bar of chocolate without any problems. I just worry that maybe i should be cutting out dairy and everything else this site advises. I've been trying to up my calcium levels by eating more dairy yoghurt because everyone says that it's the best source of calcium but it's making me sick and constipated. It's good to know that someone else out there has found a diet similar to mine that works for them. Thanks again x

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3676 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review