All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to the messageboards...Trying to get past all this
      #315772 - 09/30/07 11:14 AM
sweetsierra1225

Reged: 09/29/07
Loc: Chicago suburbs, IL

I am new to this website and messageboard. My name is Angela. I am 29 years old. I am a nurse and live in the Chicagoland area. Here is a little about my story.

I was diagnosed with IBS and GERD when I was about 17 or 18 years old. I dont remember to much about the physical pain but I remember that things were so bad I could not even hold down a sip of water. That was a long time ago...And now, that is all a different story. A few weeks a go I noticed a change in my bowel habits. I also noticed that pretty much after every meal I felt so full and bloated no matter what I ate. I was getting miserable. I also had this horrible burining sensation in the upper part of my abdomen. A few days later it turned into the abdominal cramps. I went to my MD and he drew some blood and also checked for H.pylori, the culprit in most ulcer cases. He ordered me some Prevacid and sent me home. I went to the ER a few days later. They realized it was my IBS that came back and they are associating it with stress. Imagine that? My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago, and I do have a pretty stressful job!! They gave me some Bentyl and sent me home. I came to this website for ideas on what to eat. I have been trying to stay with VERY bland foods. White toast, chicken broth..etc. I am finding still though that afer everything that I am eating...I still am feeling pretty miserable with the cramping and excessive bloating.

I just have a few questions.
What ideas does anyone have to help relieve the bloating and cramps?
Is it just me or does anyone else find after they eat, they "belch" everything up for a little while after they finished, while having an IBS exacerbation?

I am pretty miserable right now. I know you have all gone through this. It is all pretty new to me. I have not had IBS this bad EVER!

Thanks for reading a little about me. I have enjoyed reading on these messageboards. Everyone is so supportive here!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to the messageboards...Trying to get past all this new
      #315773 - 09/30/07 12:38 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi and welcome to the boards!

I'm 27 and I have been diagnosed at 22 but I've had problems pretty much my entire life (it just got worse in my early twenties).

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. You must be going through a very hard time so no wonder your IBS is flaring up at all times! Hopefully as time goes by and your pain will ease your tummy will get better as well.

Now to your questions:
Quote:

What ideas does anyone have to help relieve the bloating and cramps?

I'm not of much help when it comes to bloating as I'm still battling it myself. But not all bloating is painful (at least in my case). To ease the pain I use a hot water bottle that I put on my tummy and drink hot mint tea. The hot water bottle it great. If I'm at work and can't use it at least I stick to the tea. If I can't have tea I take some ibuprofen and sometimes it helps. I'm still bloated but at least I don't feel the pain.

Quote:

Is it just me or does anyone else find after they eat, they "belch" everything up for a little while after they finished, while having an IBS exacerbation?

Nope, you're not the only one. I just learned to do this in the most subtle way possible, or I go to the restroom (make sure noone else is there). If I'm at home I just don't care because it's not worth all that pain that would follow
I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you'll start feeling better soon!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

My tips for you, sweetsierra new
      #315787 - 09/30/07 05:31 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Hi and welcome! I am 25 years old and my IBS started in September of 2006.

At the beginning I used to belch after everything I put in my mouth, even water. When I got my IBS under control it went away but my gas is worse than ever now. I just found out that I'm allergic to Beano (rash) and now I don't know what to do.

Ok, some tips for you.

Cramps: heating pad, painkillers don't help me;
Gas: so far peppermint and ginger tea, very hot, sip slowly;
Dairy: completely illiminate, substitute with soy;
No fried, spicy, fatty foods, caffeine, alcohol or pop;
Veggies: clean out seeds and peel the skin when eating;
Drink plenty liquids when eating so it will go down easy;
Avoid large meals, eat small meals every 2-3 hours;
Always have low fat/sugar snacks with you;
Order Heather's fiber, does wonders with pain;
Always safe: oatmeal, mild soups, dry toast/engl.muffin, hot herb tea, banana.

Good luck and email for more questions (email under profile)

Tatyana.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Re: New to the messageboards...Trying to get past all this new
      #315810 - 10/01/07 05:26 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

You've gotten some good advice already. I have been fighting IBS for about a year. After finding this website I am no longer fighting it--I am living with it. Things have really really improved. But you have to follow the diet and other practices--no cheating. My best tea for calming my tummy is Bigelow's Sweet Dreams (I add a few extra mint leaves from my garden and sweeten with honey). I also am totally soy intolerant as well as lactose intolerant. Everyone is different. The Rice Dream products (milks, ice cream, protein powder) work well for me. I have also signed up for Yoga to help with the stress. My job is high stress too and the worst of my attacks started when my father died last spring. Last, but not least, make sure it is IBS. You cannot know for sure without medical tests. I had an abdominal ultrasound, a colonoscopy and then a abdominal and pelvic CT scan just to make sure. I'm 57 so I was due the colonoscopy anyway but when I lost 15 pounds in a month the doctor decided to do the other tests. My gastro guy is clueless about IBS. He recommended probiotics and fiber but the insoluble kind that gave me incredible gas and bloating. Hope you feel better real soon.

IBS-D, gas & bloating

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1097 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1046

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review