All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
i wonder what it's like to be normal
      #315728 - 09/29/07 05:11 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

some of you know what it's like to be normal.. anyone on the same boat as me.. where they have no clue? i have had "tummy problems" ever since i'm a toddler! i don't remember ever not having a problem when it came to eating.. i was always running to the bathroom.. trying to figure out why i always had to run.. and then it turned into less running at about 19.. and it seemed like i was finally pooping normally.. however instead of running to the bathroom and getting it over with.. i got gas.. and all day long.. and i've changed my diet.. for about a year i was on a celiac diet.. plus no dairy.. now i'm back to eating grains and such but not what seems to be the healthier foods like whole grains and fruits and veggies.. and no matter what i eat or don't eat.. i blow up like a ballon and slowly deflate thru my butt.. oh it would be nice to just have to run to the bathroom again.. but i wonder what it is like to not have to do that.. not have to fart all day long.. not have to worry about what i eat, drink and chew.. sigh..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: i wonder what it's like to be normal new
      #315736 - 09/29/07 11:42 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Me too! I've been A mostly though. I was talking to my grandma a while back. She was very ill and we were having a lot of heart-to-heart's while I sat with her in the hospital. I know I was really sick as a teen, but diagnosed only at 18. Grandma told me I was almost always not well. Not always sick, but I had tummy aches and D all the time. Half way through dinner at a lot of family dinners I had to leave the table. And once she told me about it, I started to remember it - crawling under the table to get out of the dining room - running to the outhouse at camp at all hours of the night - being happy for the new microwave to reheat my dinner that was stone cold because I was away from the table so long.

I wonder too, what is "normal" and what is it like? For me, my IBS is manageable and has been for most of my life (expept last Feb / March) so I really am lucky. I've made it this far, I might as well just carry on!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#315737 - 09/29/07 12:22 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I totallly understand, I've had it since childhood too, I remember eating ice cream with all the other kids and going home and crying because it hurt. I've had c my whole life, till 25 when it switched to a. 3 years ago i found the diet, and go through stable phases, which is nice. I guess I get through it by seeing that normal is a state of mind. normal for me is Ibs, I get better, I get worse, but I try not to dwell on normal, or the feeling of isolation I get when I think of myself as not normal. the boards help, talking to all of you helps

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#315740 - 09/29/07 05:00 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I am so glad you brought this up!! I have been struggling lately with what it would be like to eat cereal with "real" milk, cheese on a sandwich, a big bowl of cottage cheese, fritos, ice cream, etc. I am so tired of waking up every morning worried what is going to trigger an attack today.......even though I do eat according to the board, I cannot get this IBS_D managed and I am about at the end of my rope.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#315759 - 09/29/07 09:11 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Yes, it is a question we all ponder I'm sure often. But I find that the more often I do that, I either wind up cheating (PRETENDING I'm normal!) or just resentful and angry about the IBS. I guess since I have had it for so long, I try to think of this semi-stable period as an positive instead of a negative. I too am sooo jealous of my husband and friends when we're out or at parties and the only way I get myself through is to think about diabetics. I am not sure how many of you have IBS AND diabetes, but I know for me I just imagine what it would be like to have to avoid sweet foods. I can't have the bowl of cereal with milk witht my kids, but I can have brown sugar oatmeal thank goodness. I also am grateful not to have celiac disease so I really feel for those of you out there who have to battle that also. It helps to vent here when you're feeling down and just plain old "pissed off" about the IBS. Just don't let that anger consume you or you'll never move forward. Treat yourself today to something good (an IBS treat or a bite or two of the real thing after a safe meal..IF YOU'RE STABLE). Hang in there.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#315764 - 09/30/07 07:24 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

line415, I do exactly the same thing when it comes to PRETENDING I'm normal. Sometimes I used to convince myself that it was all in my head and ate just like everybody else. Of course, that didn't last long and I wound up with terrible pain and bloating.
I'm also jealous of all people that can eat whatever and don't even know what it's like to get REALLY sick. Sometimes people make comments thinking I eat differently because I'm trying to stay skinny so I'm on a "diet" and say something like "oh, why don't you have some, you can afford to eat that since you're skinny"! Yeah, I wish! Sometimes it makes me angry - what do they know what I can and cannot eat? Why do people feel like they have the right to comment on what we eat?

Yesterday I went to a baseball game and during the first 4 innings I was suffering a really bad attack. I was in so much pain so I didn't pay much attention to the game and watched all those people around me eating "crap" without having to thing twice about it. All they have to do is maybe take a long walk today so that they would make up for the extra cals but thats it. I just felt incredibly sorry for myself and everyone else with IBS. Then suddenly the pain just went away so I was able to enjoy the rest of the game (well "enjoy" - my team lost ).

I remember what "normal" feels like since I didn't start having really big problems until about 15 and even then I wasn't going from too much pain. Sometimes I have normal days even now and it feels great! Unfortunately it's not that often - the last one I had was almost two years ago. I want it back - I just want to be not bloated and painfree. Is that so much to ask?

I'm sorry for my ranting but it feels good to get it out of my chest. My DH is very understanding but I feel that the only people who can truly understand are my fellow sufferers.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1384

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review