All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Re: IBS diet and healthy eating recommendations new
      #315389 - 09/21/07 07:39 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Thanks Little Minnie and to all of you who have responded. I guess I sometimes feel restricted on the diet, but now that I'm feeling better and can eat more variety I am feeling better about that. I guess I haven't really mastered the whole mixing of IF and SF thing yet, and have to work on that some more. I'm sorry to hear that you don't like dieticians - perhaps the dieticians you have had experiences with just weren't the right ones for you. Just a thought.

I think one of the best things about these message boards is the support that is available. That in itself is half the battle in dealing with IBS, and I for one feel better knowing I am not alone and I am not crazy! Thanks again for all your support and input.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS diet and healthy eating Little Minnie new
      #315748 - 09/29/07 05:35 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I was so tickled to see that you make your turkey meatloaf with carrots inside it, I do that too and my family thought I was stupid!! I love it that way!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

smoothies, smoothies, smoothies!!!! new
      #315753 - 09/29/07 08:40 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

The safest way for me to get my fruits in is with a banana smoothie. I add different varieties of IF fruits like blueberries, strawberries. You can put as little IF and as much SF (the banana) as you need for your body to tolerate it. You can also add protein powders and that sort of thing if you want added nutrients (I never had but I've read about others who add flax seed I think, etc..) At firs I thougth it would be a pain, but I just keep my blender on my counter and whip a smoothie up almost daily. It's a great way to finish up fruits that are starting to spoil too (ie. if I have a plum that I think is getting overripe, I'll throw that in too!). The only time I had a problem was when I drank a large pineapple, banana with some added o.j. ...I got tons of gas. Now I haven't had O.J. in a long time so it could have been that.

Then try very, very soft veggies...I steam mine really well and eat with rice usually or pasta. Just eat a little bit. It's better than nothing an hopefully you'll be able to increase with time.

Good luck and keep your chin up. We all get frustrated. For example, this month I am hardly eating any fruit and veggies b/c I have been having mini-attacks and I have been sticking to mostly SF. BUT I can still handle SOME fruit. So I'm still getting nutrition.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: smoothies, smoothies, smoothies!!!! new
      #315768 - 09/30/07 08:33 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Thank you Line415 for your input. I used to make smoothies a lot when I would come back from the gym but that was when I wasn't having any GI problems. I've kind of gotten away from them but should try them again. What protein do you add? I used to use whey, but am wondering if I should use something else with the whole dairy thing not being the best for IBS. Thanks again for the input!

Re: smoothies, smoothies, smoothies!!!! new
      #315842 - 10/01/07 10:44 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I love smoothies but i find that they make my constipation worse and are hugely bloating. I don't put any dairy or soy in them- i usually have a banana and then whatever fruit i find lying around and whizz it up. Does anyone else find that smoothies make them bloated and constipated???

Thanks

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: IBS diet and healthy eating recommendations new
      #315924 - 10/01/07 05:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I got a recipe from a friend that my husband liked and I adapted it to make it safe, but it had carrots in it. I just use the already shredded ones and lightly cook them with the onions.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

oops new
      #315925 - 10/01/07 05:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

my answer to this post is below. My server was being silly and I ended up replying to the wrong post.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2682 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5578

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review