All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
flaxseed and fibre
      #314936 - 09/13/07 09:47 AM
ktp

Reged: 09/13/07

Hi everyone. I'm new but have found your conversations very interesting. Thanks to everyone who shares their stuff so freely.

I'm trying to understand the hype around the acacia fibre, as opposed to using other types which are easier to source and cheaper. I've searched the boards but not found a conclusive answer.

Firstly, is there a reason why people would avoid flaxseed as their fibre supplement? I was about to try it, but now I'm nervous! Secondly, the other non-psyllium products such as Fibresmart by Renewlife (which again I think is based on some flax with other irritation suppressants like slippery elm/L-glutamine...any reason why this product is a 'no'?!

Your experience is most appreciated. =]

PS My 'natural' doc suggested just taking the liquid from a teaspoon of soaked flaxseed left overnight. The SF leaks into the water and you don't consume the harsh seed itself.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: flaxseed and fibre new
      #314938 - 09/13/07 10:40 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I use flaxmeal and I've also tried Fibresmart by renewlife. I have the best results with plain flaxmeal more than any Soluble fiber supplement. It doesn't bloat or cause me as much pain.

I've tried other supplements, but just got horrible bloat and cramps.

I still deal with bloat and cramps...but not from the flaxmeal. I very much recommend flaxmeal! My body can just not handle any fiber supplements.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#314940 - 09/13/07 10:47 AM
ktp

Thats great news because I'll bet flaxmeal is a lot cheaper than a 'health' product like Fibresmart! I've not seen it on the shelf, I picked up flaxseed today, is it available in most HFS? I'm in the UK so wondering if it is a generic product and therefore readily available...

Also wondering if I will launch right into using the fully ground seed, which I guess flaxmeal is. The idea of using the liquid from soaked seeds makes some gentle sense to me as apparently the SF leaches into the liquid. Then I'm avoiding the harsher IF component.

I've done some research on Acacia - or 'Gum Arabic' as the origin source is called. Amazing stuff. I will get onto it as well but not sure where from. I found a place that sell 25 pound bags! Nice n cheap in bulk

#314941 - 09/13/07 10:59 AM
Jordy

I wouldn't think that just drinking the water that flaxseeds have soaked in would be much help. But, it may be a good place to start. I just started right in with the meal. Everyone I know who uses flaxmeal for IBS uses it ground up. If you just drink the liquid (which I've heard of before), let me know if it does anything for bulk. It does sound like it would be very gentle...but not sure if it would really do anything to help the stools. You would probably be getting some of the oil, though.

You can find flaxmeal in regular grocery stores over here...as well as every HFS I've ever been too! I've also seen it sold "in bulk" at some places.

--------------------

Oh... new
      #314943 - 09/13/07 11:14 AM
Jordy

I put a whole T in my cereal, but you could start with 1 tsp, maybe, if the water doesn't help much.

--------------------

Re: Oh... new
      #314946 - 09/13/07 11:29 AM
ktp

Super. Thanks much. I think I will go find this flaxmeal as it sounds easy to obtain and really I can handle quite a lot of variety. I get more sensitive than I need to from reading other's posts probably - but fortunately I don't blow out quite so easily =]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1022 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2332

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review