All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Re: Hmmm, conflicting info new
      #314963 - 09/13/07 12:52 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I'm so glad you knew about that site. See how confusing it can make me? Nectarines had a really low fructose number, so I don't understand why those wouldn't be okay.

I just printed out that article you sent.

I'm sorry this is becoming such an ordeal, Syl! I just wanted to know which fruits where okay as far as fructose! I've always heard bananas where bad on the gut.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

BTW new
      #314964 - 09/13/07 12:54 PM
Jordy

Wouldn't all canned fruit be okay since it is cooked? As well as mango sauces? Doesn't cooking them break them down and make them much easier to digest...like babyfoods?

--------------------

Re: BTW new
      #314972 - 09/13/07 01:36 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Cooking, canning, grinding, etc fruit does not change the fructose to glucose ratio in the fruit.

Eating high fructose foods with a large SF base does not help your body deal with excess fructose if it is a problem for you.

The only way to deal with the fructose malasbosrption is to dramatically reduce or eliminate all foods containing more fructose than glucose.

However, regarding sauces and other condiments you will see they frequently contain juices from high fructose fruits like apples and pears as well as fruit pulp. The reason for this is that the juice concentrates from high fructose fruits increases the sweetness of the condiment just like HFCS does.

It seens like you have a very sweet tooth

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Hee hee new
      #314973 - 09/13/07 01:57 PM
Jordy

I must! I love my fruits!!! And I add stevia to all drinks!

I wish that website listed the amount of sorbitol. I have yet to find a guide to help me determine the amounts of sorbitol in foods.

Interesting that SF base doesn't help with the fructose. I thought the SF base was like a shield for anything else that followed it.

Thanks again, Syl. I'm trying to get this. Like peaches have pretty equal glucose and fructose amounts, which would appear to make them safe...but it doesn't list sorbitol...which explains why it was listed on the worst 5 fruits for the intestines! Pear, apples, cherries and prunes round it up.

The friendliest, were pineapple (hope that's safe as I am eating that now), white grapes, berries, oranges...that's it I think.

--------------------

Re: Hee hee new
      #314974 - 09/13/07 02:37 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A rule of thumb is that stone fruits like plums, nectarines, apricots and peaches contain sorbitol.

Please tell us how it works for you after you have given the reduce fructose diet a try for a few weeks.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 528 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4898

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review