All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
anyone on this diet and trying to lose weight?
      #314444 - 09/02/07 05:23 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

i need to drop atleast 40 pounds.. i am terribly unhappy at my current weight.. what can i change in this diet to do so? i don't eat a lot of junk food and tend to go for low fat.. but i find myself eating a lot of carbs.. i want to go back to my diet that helped me drop the pounds a few years ago.. i was eating whole grains if i ate grains, lean chicken and lots of veggies.. and i know i can't do that now.. any advice?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: anyone on this diet and trying to lose weight? new
      #314449 - 09/02/07 07:58 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I would say to incorporate some cardio in your daily routine. Not only will you shed the pounds, but exercise will help regulate the digestive tract.

I myself have been losing weight since the IBS. I usually do a 1/2 hour on my elliptical machine here at home but I haven't done so since March because I've been losing weight. Had I been doing my daily workout, I'd be a bean pole by now! Seriously though, I will start it up again because I don't want to lose weight simply from the diet because then I'll look haggard and not toned.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#314451 - 09/02/07 09:20 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Check out the IBS Fitness Board. It's not super-active now but if you look back through the older posts you might get some ideas and if you start posting you might generate some more activity and support.

You should still be able to follow your old routine. The lean chicken stays the same, obviously. You can substitute more SF choices for the whole grains and remember these can include more than just rice, bread, and pasta. Sweet potatoes, for example, are very filling. Add in whole grains in the amounts you can tolerate them. For vegetables you may have to rely more on the ones in the SF list at first - carrots, squash - but you should work toward adding in more IF choices especially if you're C.

And, of course, exercise. Sigh. Even a 30 minute walk every day will help.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#314535 - 09/04/07 06:02 AM
Pud

it's hard because i have an injured knee!
i did drop a lot of weight and got into great shape a couple of years ago.. i was told i had ibs and dr said to just eat a lot of fiber.. so i did.. raisin brain every morning lots of whole grains and veggies.. i dropped even more weight when i started karate and was working out between karate and going to the gym about 6 days a week.. then my symptoms changed and the big d wasnt an issue.. its mostly gas and bloating.. i injured my knee and had to stop karate.. its really hard for me to work out now
so now i've gained back about 35 pounds and i haaaaaaate it!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#314540 - 09/04/07 08:49 AM
BendeeWendee

Hey Pud I hear you. I used to be a workout junkie, where everything revolved around me going to the gym. At one point, instead of listening to my knees, I still kept working out and now screwed myself. I used to love doing classes and such but when I went to a sports doctor, he told me from my xrays that I was born with my kneecaps a little off center--which is quite normal--but that I would feel twinges moreso than someone whose kneecaps are where they should be. The twinges I get now on an everyday basis used to happen to me as a kid on an occasional basis and being that I have old school parents, they would just rub my knees and kiss them to make it better. Anyway, my sports doc told me that I can do the elliptical machine because it promotes natural knee motion, unlike the treadmill and stairmaster. I've never liked doing machines but thankfully, the elliptical machine happened to be my favorite one. So instead of rushing my workout at the gym due to others waiting, I bought an elliptical machine and do it here at home.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#314549 - 09/04/07 12:27 PM
Pud

I love the eliptical... how much did it cost? i have a treadmill at home but it does hurt my knees and i just hate it.. it now serves a purpose of holding drycleaning and cat toys..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#314550 - 09/04/07 12:36 PM
BendeeWendee

I paid $200 plus about $25 for shipping and handling. I got the Orbitrek Platinum and it was the best investment ever! I'll spend at least 1/2 an hour on it and at most 1 hour. I'll play whatever I've recorded on my DVR and workout away!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Where do you buy it from?-nt new
      #314961 - 09/13/07 12:41 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Where do you buy it from?-nt new
      #314999 - 09/13/07 06:33 PM
BendeeWendee

I guess the link would've helped, huh. Duhhhhh. I have the Platinum model.

Orbitrek

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Re: Is it sturdy? new
      #315049 - 09/15/07 11:56 AM
Pud

I went to Dick's Sporting Goods las night to check out their machines.. the cheapest they had in the store was $399. I hopped on and it didn't seem very sturdy. How is this one?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 564 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review