All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is Bacterial overgrowth the primary cause for bloating and gas in IBS?
      #314206 - 08/29/07 01:36 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is Bacterial overgrowth the primary cause for bloating and gas in IBS? new
      #314247 - 08/29/07 08:32 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

bp

#314304 - 08/30/07 11:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Hmmm. That's an interesting way to ask the question. Here's what I know about the subject:

Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and IBS are two different conditions. I know that a while back some doctor wrote a book implying everyone with IBS really has SIBO but I don't believe that's the case. If I remember correctly, though, people who have SIBO usually list gas and bloating as important symptoms.

So my answer would be no, bacterial overgrowth is not the primary cause for bloating and gas in IBS. It is possible you've been misdiagnosed with IBS when you really have SIBO. If you think this is the case, you should be tested for SIBO and if you have it, be treated. (Sadly, it is possible to have *both* SIBO and IBS. In that case, your SIBO test would be positive and you should be treated for it, but you would then have to manage your IBS following your SIBO treatment.)

There's been some discussion of SIBO on the Boards before. Try a couple of Searches across all Boards with no time limit for:

SIBO
small bacteria

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

SIBO and IBS new
      #314306 - 08/30/07 12:06 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is the conclusion of a recently study on Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and IBS:

The data do not support an important role for SIBO according to commonly used clinical definitions, in IBS. However, mildly increased counts of small-bowel bacteria seem to be more common in IBS, and needs further investigation. Motility alterations could not reliably predict altered small-bowel bacterial flora.

An earlier study concluded:

The question remains if the observed bacterial overgrowth is a cause of disease or just a consequence of altered bowel motility, but the association for part of the IBS population is certain.

SIBO may not be a primary cause of some symptoms in some IBS suffers it might play a role in other suffers.

If you search the board for Rifimax - an antibiotic used to treat SIBO - you will find some recent posting by individuals who have tried this treatment. As I recall the results range from mixed to poor.

Reference
Posserud, I., P. O. Stotzer, E. S. Bjornsson, H. Abrahamsson, and M. Simren, 2007: Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gut, 56, 802-808.

Podovei, M. and B. Kuo, 2006: Irritable bowel syndrome: a practical review. Southern Medical Journal, 99, 1235.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#314310 - 08/30/07 12:41 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

what is the test for sibo and what are the symptoms?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#314314 - 08/30/07 12:52 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The test is a lactulose breath test. The typical symptoms are bloating, cramping, and/or alternating bowel habits. Research into the link between IBS and SIBO is ongoing and inconclusive. You can read more about it here

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#315017 - 09/14/07 08:26 AM
boardsjohn

Reged: 09/13/07

Pud,
I have the same symptoms of bloating and think that SIBO has something to do with it. Where are you now in all of this? John

#315038 - 09/15/07 07:06 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

John,

I see my GI next week. I am going to bring up the SIBO, because I have not had that test. I am currently taking levsin once a day, and it works sometimes. I do not eat any dairy and I have been avoiding soy when possible. I eat what seems like too many carbs and try to stay low fat. I avoid an raw veggies and usually only eat them if they have been destroyed by cooking them. I avoid most fruit. I basically hate my diet. I was a granola and skim milk, a little ice cream every now and then, whole grains and fresh fruit and veggies kinda girl. It seems like no matter what I eat I get a gas of the horrible gas and bloating. Sometimes the levsin helps, sometimes not. It's hit or miss. And you?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1415 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2464

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review