All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Getting Stable takes a year?
      #312932 - 08/09/07 12:58 PM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Hello everybody....in the past people on this board who are IBS-C stated that it took them a year to stabilize. In Heather's books it says it may take a couple of weeks. Which one is it? I have been on the diet for four months and have good and bad days. I also notice people who have registered in 2003 or 2004 and who are not stable. So what's the deal....is it a couple of weeks or is it a year?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting Stable takes a year? BUMP new
      #312941 - 08/09/07 02:42 PM
AndrewIBSC

Re: Getting Stable takes a year? BUMP new
      #312944 - 08/09/07 03:09 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is impossible to give you an answer. Heather's dietary recommendations are only guidelines. You may have sensitivities that her guidelines do cover. I followed the guidelines for about 2 years. I had an improvement when I changed the ratio of SF/IF. However, I did become stable until 3 years later when I discovered that I was a fructose malabsorber. Once I eliminated high fructose foods from my diet that I became stable.

There are many variables at play in IBS. It is difficult if not impossible to tell you when you will become stable. You may have to experiment outside the guidelines before you may become stable.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Ditto for IBS-Ds new
      #312946 - 08/09/07 03:11 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Great question! I'm IBS-D and haven't been stable for any length of time. So frustrating!

Re: Getting Stable takes a year? new
      #312949 - 08/09/07 03:28 PM
AndrewIBSC

Thanks Syl....BUT...some people seem to infer that it takes a year because the body has to adjust to the diet. Or is it that it takes a year to try different SF/IF combinations? I am asking this because I have been having D and wonder if I should make daily adjustments to the ratio OR just keep eating the same ratio because it is just my body adjusting to the diet. Thanks for the help. I am just really confused. Heather's diet has helped but many aspects seem contradictory and quite honestly I feel better.

Re: Getting Stable takes a year? new
      #312950 - 08/09/07 04:04 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Oh, that is an interesting question.

I believe you are asking how long should you stick with a dietary regime before you change it.

Generally, I can tell if a dietary change is having a postive, negative or no effect within 7-30 days. If the change has no effect or a positive effect I add to my stable dietary practice. Don't be surprized if you later find that you have remove some things from your stable dietary practices. I found that thinks I thought did not have an effect on my IBS actually did.

It took over a year to get my SF:IF ratio correct. Now I know through experimenting that I need 3 to 4 times as much SF as IF each meal. I get most of my SF from rice, potatoes and pasta. And it took me nearly two years to figure how much fructose I could tolerate.

Also, I found that digestive enzymes and other supplements made my symptoms worse. It took me awhile to figure that out too

My safe guard is a base diet of oatmeal, chicken, rice and boiled carrots that I drop back if things start to get out of hand. Things usually turn around within 2-4 days. Finding your base diet is part of becoming and staying stable

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1081

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review