All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
diet and tiredness
      #310917 - 07/11/07 09:10 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

So, i've been trying (but occasionally failing) to follow this diet (but not strictly) for the last 5 weeks and have consequently found myself feeling really tired, down and lacking motivation for doing anything. I've even lost all interest in food- which i usually love! I'm also finding the caffeine habit really difficult to kick (i only have one cup of tea a day with a little milk but have been feeling even more tired the last two days since completely giving it up). My IBS has been a little better but still really unpredictable (i think this may be mostly due to stress). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... Many thanks in advance

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: diet and tiredness new
      #310919 - 07/11/07 09:25 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I wish I had lost interest in food but I know what you mean. I have been following this diet strictly for only about 2wks so it's too early to see improvements.
I agree that the caffeine habit is hard to kick but hang in there, it will get better. I used to drink at least a cup of coffee per day but last year I switched to this substitute called Caro (made by Nestle). It's not available here in the US so I have to stock up every time I go to EU . Since you drink tea, can you find a brand of tea that also makes decaf?
Do you think that your tiredness is strictly a result of the diet or are there any other factors in your life? I usually have these ups and downs regardless of what I eat. I sometimes also feel a bit sad when I open the fridge and there is milk and mozzarella and I can't have at least a bit but I guess we'll have to live with it.
I'm also a C and for us it can take longer to see improvements so I'm determined to follow the diet for a few months at least. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and I hope you get better soon!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#310924 - 07/11/07 09:49 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Zara, many thanks for your lovely message. I really appreciate it. I wonder if Caro's available in the UK (i live in England); will have to check it out. I was going to drink decaf but i really don't like soy milk with my tea only dairy milk so i need to cut it out altogether really if i'm to follow the diet strictly as i believe dairy's a trigger food. I'm sure there are probably other factors involved in my being tired, such as working shifts, but i've definitely noticed a decrease in energy since following the diet. I suspect it could be the lack of fruit and veg in my diet so i may be a bit nutrient deficient. I've cut fruit out as it's started giving me really bad gas and stomach aches, as do certain veg. (Sorry for details!) Maybe i should just be more patient and brave enough to try different things out that are within the constraints of the diet. All the best with your IBS. Keep me updated on what does and doesn't work for you. I'll let you know if i come across any handy tips. Best wishes

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#310973 - 07/11/07 04:55 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Have you ever tried rice milk? I don't like soy milk but rice milk is pretty good. To me it seems more "creamy" like dairy milk. And even with soy milk some brands taste better than others. I hope that there is one that you can find!
As for fruit I found that I can't really have dried fruits since they give me terrible bloating the next day. It's probably because I tend to eat a lot in one sitting. Right now I'm trying to stick to bananas and apples, and occasionally I'll have a peach or a pear. Fortunately I love apples so I don't really feel deprived.
Like you said, you have to be patient as that's the only way to figure out what works for you. I'm not good at being patient, I always want results really quick and get depressed and unhappy if a diet isn't working. I started really focusing on different foods little over a year ago. I tried one approach after another and I still didn't get anywhere. I think that if I were just patient and waited I could have been feeling much better today. That's why I'm determined to stick to the diet now . Good luck to you!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#310981 - 07/11/07 06:21 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I used to drink rice milk, but recently I switched to almond milk. It's not quite as sweet, and is a little thicker than rice milk. It also has less calories per volume. I recommend the Almond Breeze brand... vanilla if you like sweet and regular otherwise. I just got some of the unsweetend ones too, but haven't tried it yet (was planning on using it in cooking).

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#310989 - 07/11/07 07:12 PM
maestro

Reged: 01/14/05
Loc: Missouri

I'm sorry you are feeling so tired. That happens to me after I have an attack. In the past I would have an attack and really limit myself on what I could eat for too long. I've learned that the sooner I incorporate veggies and protein back into my diet I don't get so worn out. I think eating smaller meals more frequently keeps me going. It's also hepful to keep a food diary so if you do have problems it will help you pinpoint what the trigger was.

Use the recipe index for ideas. There are some great recipes (and even my DH enjoys them)!

Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 940

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review