All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stomach better after colonoscopy
      #308923 - 06/12/07 07:04 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Has anyone else had this happen? I've been following the EFI diet for about a month. Was having pretty good results. Stomach pain getting much better. But still having D issues and sometimes A and gas pain. The prep for the colonoscopy was exhausting, but it's purpose is to completely clear you out. I was warned that I would be D for another day, but I wasn't. I splurged and had pizza (may favorite food and haven't had for a month) b/c I figured, what the heck if I was going to have D anyway. But no reaction. And in the 5 days since the test, I have felt so much better.

I'm just curious if completely cleaning out our systems on occassion could like reset our digestive systems or if this was just a fluke.

I also wanted to pound my doc as just before the test, she asked how I was doing and I said not much better and asked her if she's heard about Eating for IBS. She said she did! That is took a lot of discipline. If I was so darn tired I would have yelled at her, why didn't you tell me!!!! Why doesn't your PA know about the differences in foods and fiber when you're so damn busy I can't get in to see you anymore!!!

I think it's time for a new doc. Oh and I just made Heather's zucchini bread last night for the first time. Yummers.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Never heard of that one, but maybe this is why.... new
      #309009 - 06/13/07 04:50 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Generally, the colonoscopy is traumatic (to say the least) both in prep and procedure. But who knows? Stranger things have happened. And generally, fasting, and "cleaning out" mostly do more harm than good as they irritate the bowels, and it's much better to be on a regular food schedule. I think that more likely it could be that after a month on the diet, you're just starting to get the hang of it, and your tum is settling down.

I understand your frustration with doctors. Many of us have suffered their lack of understanding/information about IBS. Some have even been cut off with questions!!!! It's appalling. Do a board search - there is a post somewhere about IBS friendly Doctors. Maybe you can find one there that's close to you.

As for the pizza - don't give it up altogether. I make my own - on a low fat pita or thin crust, tomato sauce, soy cheese, and whatever veggies you can handle. You can even try things like turkey bacon or turkey sausage if you really miss the pepperoni. Just an idea. Think substitution - not deprivation!

Hang in there. It takes time to stabilize. I'm glad you're seeing results. Keep up the good work. It's hard in the beginning, but once you know how you react to certain foods, and learn to live by the guidelines, it really is practically effortless. (For me it is, anyway.) You still have to stay vigilant, but depending on your tolerances, you really can have a happy food life. Try the recipe board - it's awesome!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Never heard of that one, but maybe this is why.... new
      #309033 - 06/14/07 07:13 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

Yoda, Thank you so much for responding. I was getting kinda bummed that nobody had responded to my post. It has been weird. I expected horrible prep due to my tendancy toward D and the fact that I was in an attack when I had to do my prep. I wanted to reach for Imodium, not the laxatives I had to take. But I guess I was really lucky. Yes, I was running to the bathroom really, really fast and many, many times, but I had no gas, cramping or pain. and I've been feeling really good since then.

I'm having a hard time dealing with the soy cheese thing. Amazingly my stomach seems to tolerate small amounts of sharp cheddar and even peanut butter. But I'm very strict in every other area. And I have hit the recipe board. And started working with the cookbook. I just made the Maple Oat bread (I think I found it on hte board) and it is wonderful! Added the arcadia so it seems to be really health too. I'm so grateful to have found this place. I have learned more in a month here than from my doctor over the last 9 years. Thanks again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 804 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 653

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review