All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gluten intolerant too !!!
      #308895 - 06/11/07 12:40 PM
TanyaW

Reged: 06/11/07

Hi, I suffer from severe IBS-C and have just seen this site and the IBS diet for the first time. My other problem is that I am also gluten-intolerant although I ate gluten for 5 months last year without a hitch until I had such a blow up that I am too scared to touch it again. So this really affects the diet, apart from the rice and rice noodles.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten intolerant too !!! new
      #308900 - 06/11/07 01:39 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hey there,

At one point, I thought I was gluten-intolerant (this was before I was officially diagnosed with IBS) and did the gluten-free diet for about a month. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that hard to follow. But, that was before I discovered Heather's diet. You're right -- many of the SF food that are recommended are not gluten free, like french bread, pretzels, bagels, etc. But nowadays there are tons of alternatives (thank goodness). Do you have a health food store near you? Most of them have a lot of gluten free foods that are IBS safe as well. You just have to make sure you check out the fat content on the labels. And the people at those stores are usually pretty knowledgeable about the products and can answer many questions. I'm not going to lie, it takes a lot of paying attention to details and finding what substitutes work for you. A close friend of mine has Celiac disease, and she ends up making a lot of food at home. On the recipe part of this website are gluten-free ones. And I think if you did a search for "gluten-free" in the recipe postings, a ton of stuff will pop up. Plus, I've seen other people on here who have both IBS and gluten intolerance. So I guess my point is that it can be done! I know its daunting and overwhelming, but hang in there. This site is great even if you just need to vent -- everyone here is really supportive and understands what you are going through. Anyway, I hope any of that information helps. I'm sure others who have gluten intolerance will post as well

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#308934 - 06/12/07 10:46 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I'm an IBS-C with wheat/gluten and dairy sensativity. I'm not allergic nor am I celiac or chron's but it effects me. I do eat a wheat free version of the EFI diet. It's a lot of cooking and fussy cooking at that, if you want any bread type foods, like pizza or even tomato soup. Wheat hides in so many things on the store shelves. Many soups are not safe even when they don't have noodles and such. I was amazed to find that tomato soup has wheat in it as the thickener. The HFS and my grocery store both have gluten free items. I get rice pastas in all sorts of shapes, including lasagna noodles. I don't care for the taste of the corn pasta but that's me. I do make my own tortillas, bread and pizza dough. The real trick is to make your flour mixes and then store them in a container so they are ready whenever you want to make something. I have several books by Bette Hagman which are good. There are other authors out there who do their own versions of flour mixes. Authentic Foods is one GF company, Bob's Red Mill also has GF stuff. I've ordered specialty baking stuff like Hamburger Roll rings from King Arthur flour. You can try a couple of websites- www.authenticfoods.com or www.glutenfree-supermarket.com (sorry I don't know how to make these a link.

Happily in the last year more regular groceries are carrying more GF stuff and even the HFS has expanded their selection. It takes some effort,time,research and special ingredients but it can be done. I make stuff in bulk and then freeze it. I just had pizza the other night and it was wonderful. The hard part is that it takes a lot more time and energy to put a meal on the table for a family. My daughter made then pizza for the family and I made mine. Normally she's doing homework and I do all the cooking. It was so nice to have the help.

Good luck in getting started. You'll figure it out, just give yourself time to learn it as it is different and requires a different set of rules than how we are taught to cook. I'm getting ready for a vacation and have to do the IBS and wheat free thing for survival. I have a lot of dry foods that will be in my bags. Not all the GF stuff tastes great even if the label says it does so try one of everything to see what you like. Also, GF cooking is NOT LOW FAT. So you have to be careful since IBS and high fat don't mix well. I do use such things as prune puree or prune butter, apple sauce or apple juice in my recipes. It's a trial and error thing to see what will bake up well and what won't.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#309053 - 06/14/07 12:29 PM
AudreyK

Reged: 06/09/07
Loc: Halifax, Canada

I'm also sensitive to gluten and dairy, and am IBS-C. Where I'm from, eastern Canada, all the grocery stores carry lots of gluten-free products - my favorites are the "Enjoy Life" brand cereals and breads, and they carry some frozen gluten-free Food-for-Life rice and almond bread that is SO good. My boyfriend who doesn't have IBS prefers this bread to the regular stuff. The almonds don't bother me, even though nuts usually do, but you might want to be careful. Also, potato pasta is delicious if you can find it - I prefer it to rice pasta. I believe these brands are made in the US.

What I have found is whenever I accidentally eat some wheat or dairy I eat a banana and some room temperature water to keep my colon working correctly. It helps every time.
Thai rice sticks (vermicelli) are also the perfect thing at any meal - they're made of just rice and water, and are really good with stir-fry. I find I eat at home a lot, but when I go out I go to the organic-friendly restaurants and they are almost always prepared to make you a good gluten-free meal.

#309943 - 06/26/07 07:17 PM
maggie60

Reged: 06/26/07

Hi,
I'm new to the board. I also have a gluten intolerance and lactose. No celiac, but a definite intolerance. IBS-D also. Can you have IBS with little or no pain?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1867 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 910

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review