All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
feelin low
      #308754 - 06/07/07 02:34 PM
sophiejay

Reged: 07/26/06
Loc: England

hi any one whos out there, i'm pretty down right now and have no where else to turn for comfort. I've been told by my doc that i have fructose malabsorbtion so i have to cut it out and i'm also sensative to gluten, so I have to cut that out too so I'm basically down to turky or chicken and rice cakes with some corn thins and veggie soup but thats if I can stomach cooked food! If not I just stick to rice cakes which is sooo boring but everything else seems to have gluten dairy or fructose in it so I don't have a choice! I just feel so lost, If any one has any gluten/fructose free food advice it will be greatly appreciated thanks to allx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: feelin low new
      #308757 - 06/07/07 03:09 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

hello,
I am sorry you are feeling so low. It is almost as though we all have to go through a type of mourning when we get diagnosed with IBS. We need to feel sad over losing one of the great pleasures in life...eating foods we love. But don't worry, there are lots of gluten free items out there! If you google gluten free food you will discover lots of mail-order foods that are great. There are lots of companies out there catering to those of us with special dietary needs. You local HFS might be a good place to start.

I know you are sad, but please don't fret. It will get easier. It is overwhelming at first, but the more you research and learn, the more settled you will become.

Good luck! Hugs to you!

MeiMei

#308758 - 06/07/07 03:17 PM
sophiejay

Reged: 07/26/06
Loc: England

thank you I needed those hugs, I've been on the net looking for gluten/fructose free foods and recipes and found some good stuff, I think it just overwhelms me when every one around me is just eating food without having to think about whats in it, but I'm not gonna let it beat me thanks againx

#308765 - 06/07/07 04:19 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi sophiejay,

I have fructose malabsorption too. However, I don't have any problems with gluten.

Can you tell me what tests your doctor used to make the diagnosis?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#308776 - 06/07/07 10:55 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Sophie, I've hardly eaten any fruit for at least 20 years, maybe more--I forget. You get used to it--doing without--because over time, the repeated miserableness you get from eating fructose foods makes you not want them anymore.

I am grateful I live in a time where we do have a wide variety of choices. I remember a character in one of Jane Austen's books--written in the late 1700's---he was an older fellow who was always complaining of bad digestion. Couldn't eat anything, always worrying about food (and "advising" others about what they shouldn't eat). Now, having IBS in those times was surely rough! Cold meats, heavy doughy things, no refrigeration--Can you imagine?

C

#308801 - 06/08/07 09:55 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I don't have problems with gluten but it sounds like you will feel much better if you find a few things that you really like that are gluten/fructose free. Find a good health food store near you and browse the aisles. The regular supermarkets are starting to carry these specialties too in their organic or health food aisles where all the soy, etc. is kept. I understand you feeling down about it. It's tough to watch others eat "normally" while you have to check labels. Make life more enjoyable for yourself by stocking up at home on things that are safe for you and then the only time you'll need to battle feeling depressed about the IBS and intolerances is when you are out. That's how I try to deal with it anyway. Good luck shopping.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 484 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1519

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review