All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
whole grains
      #307783 - 05/22/07 09:07 AM
Carolynjoy1228

Reged: 04/12/07

Are whole grains considered insoluble fiber?

If so, how can I safely eat them? I know I need to balance out my IF with SF, and I'm doing that pretty well so far (based on my reduced pain and getting closer to regularity). So how can I do this with whole grains? If I wanted to make a sandwich with whole wheat bread, I would have to have extra SF to compensate, right? But that would be too much grain for one meal.

So how can I incorporate whole grains? Or should I just not worry about it and stick to safe breads.
Any thoughts?

Carolyn
IBS-C (Getting better, but still learning.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: whole grains new
      #307784 - 05/22/07 09:32 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Whole grains are *sometimes* considered insoluble... it does depend on the grain. (Technically, oatmeal is a whole grain, and for the purposes of the diet, it's considered a soluble, even though it's a 50/50 split. But I digress.)

I would suggest trying whole wheat bread and seeing how you do. You can start, if you like, by using one slice of wheat and one slice of white. The nice thing about wheat bread is that it does have SF built in - you pretty much can't make a good-textured wheat bread without SOME white flour in it, so you may be able to handle it just fine on its own.

#307787 - 05/22/07 10:31 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I agree with Atomic Rose. I started adding in whole grains by doing the 1 slice of each type of bread thing. Then I tried just eating 1/2 sandwich (1 slice of whole wheat bread) to see if I could handle it. When I did attempt a whole "whole wheat" sandwich, I had a bit of banana (sf) along with it or right before it and then I didn't add any tomato or other IF onto the sandwich (just a protein...turkey.) I hope that helps.

You can also mix white rice with brown rice and see how you do. If I have brown rice, I don't do as many veggies as if I did white rice b/c the IF would be too high. It's all a balancing act. Just do it very slowly and don't add any other foods that week of trying so that you don't get confused if you have a reaction. Good luck!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#307788 - 05/22/07 10:40 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Can you recommend a brand name for whole wheat bread or cereal? I want to take the plunge into more whole grains.

I'm very constipated and need to change something.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Jordy new
      #307790 - 05/22/07 11:36 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Have you tried eating fennel seeds? I know it sounds weird, but instead of making fennel tea (I hate the taste) I just chew on some fennel seeds. I chew them as long as I can stand the taste and wash them down with some water. The seeds are IF but very gentle and help with bloating and digestion at the same time. Just a suggestion.

As for whole wheat bread, there are some brands that are making white bread with some whole wheat. Wonder has one that is their tradition white bread with added oat bran and wheat germ. Other brands may have similar products. They're targetted towards people who like the texture and taste of white bread but want more fiber.

--------------------
Kat

#307813 - 05/22/07 04:17 PM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

where do you find fennel seeds? HFS? I live in a small town and my HFS is very small and is hard to find anything of value there, so what about online?

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#307817 - 05/22/07 04:50 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You can find fennel seeds in a health food store, or grocery store, or you can get it right here on Heather's website. They are organic and have a high volatile oil content so it's more beneficial. The seeds at HFS and grocery stores can tend to be old.
http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/teas/fennel.asp

Brand names... new
      #307850 - 05/23/07 04:51 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...are going to differ from area to area, to some extent, depending on what's available.

I just get our store brand (Hannaford) whole wheat bread. I should add that trace amounts of dairy and HFCS are not triggers for me, so I don't have that concern. If those are a concern for you, just read the ingredients on the label.

Whole wheat cereals are a little trickier, since those don't usually have the built-in cushion of SF, like bread does. Start with bread, and brown rice, and see how you do. You can experiment with cereals after that. (I've found I can eat Grape Nuts, but that's not necessarily typical!)

fennel seeds new
      #307858 - 05/23/07 07:41 AM
Jordy

I was always afraid of swallowing those things! Maybe I'll try it if the seeds don't cause you problems.

Thanks

--------------------

Re: Brand names... new
      #307859 - 05/23/07 07:44 AM
Jordy

Hmmm...that's the exact problem I'm having in my search. I can't find one that looks "not so seedy and grainy" but also doesn't contain dry milk and/or HFCS. WW bread has an SF cushion built in?

YUM....I used to love grape nuts!!!! Not the flakes...the original granola type. Is that what kind you like?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4118

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review