All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
acacia and more constipated?
      #307723 - 05/21/07 12:07 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I have been taking Miralax every day, Natural Calm every night, Triphala, Flaxmeal...and I was going probably every day...just not complete and not very well formed or "natural".

I started Acacia on Thursday. 1/4 tsp with lunch and another 1/4 tsp with dinner. Since doing this, I have not had a BM! Even though I'm still taking all the other stuff. I am scared. Can Acacia be doing this? Is it coincidence?

Has anyone else become more constipated when they took Acacia? I do eat IF...so what's the deal? And what do I do about the Acacia?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acacia and more constipated? new
      #307761 - 05/21/07 10:39 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Well, kind of. I've noticed that with acacia, even if the BM's don't come as often, my stomach isn't bothering me as much either---not nearly as much as when I'm "truly constipated." I have had to learn to be more patient about expecting predictable BM's. It's something I have a pattern of worrying about.

C

#307772 - 05/22/07 06:12 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

even if the BM's don't come as often, my stomach isn't bothering me as much either---not nearly as much as when I'm "truly constipated."

Hmmmm, not sure what you mean, Calli.

I feel truly constipated when I can't go. How do you describe the difference when you don't go from Acacia and when you are truly constipated?

Do you think you are better off with the Acacia? Did you ever start to go "more often" with it? How much do you currently take?

Thanks so much!!

Anyone else that can help, please. I don't know if I should stop taking this.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#307781 - 05/22/07 08:42 AM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

What I call "truly constipated" is when I have that miserable stuffed belly, bloat, low energy, headache, feeling "toxified," in addition to the fact that I haven't had a BM. Since starting acacia (and diet change to IBS-modified), and non-psyllium fiber (oat, flax powder), my bowels are still moving slowly, but they ARE moving, and the cycle of having BM's is starting to feel more natural.

By the way, I used to depend on coffee in the morning to help "clean me out" (bad, too), so the change may be due to the fact that I stopped coffee, and am now having to depend on my body's natural rhythms---which don't exactly coincide with regularity or predictability.

I actually don't go "more often" with Acacia, but I go once a day, and it usually feels like I'm moving out more BM when I DO go--which is to say the BM is more "efficient." I used to feel at least "a day behind," before starting acacia---if I had a BM it was hard and lumpy and was just getting rid of what I SHOULD have eliminated the day or two before.

I take 1.5 tablespoons of Acacia per day, spread out into three parts-- 1/2 TBS dose with each meal, and about the same amount of fiber supplement (Tri-Fiber with oat, flax, acacia) at breakfast and bedtime.

I do feel I'm better off with acacia, but I think it has to be balanced by IF of some kind. My feeling is that if you take only acacia as your fiber, and also eat lots of rice, pasta, etc. then it will be more constipating.

I know I haven't explained this too well, but it's subtle--the changes--and of course, I am not sure whether it's due to adding acacia, or changing other things.

C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1065 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 680

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review