All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia versus Metemucil....
      #307479 - 05/17/07 11:37 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I started taking Acacia day before yesterday and I don't think it's agreeing with me. I started with 1/4 tsp. twice a day...yesterday I took 1/2 tsp. twice a day. I've had loose stools everymorning since taking it.....worse than before I took it. So does Metemucil agree with some people better than acacia? Any experience with this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia versus Metemucil.... new
      #307484 - 05/17/07 12:26 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Funny you should post this. I just started to add 1/2 to 1 tsp of psyllium powder to my evening regime..and I think it is helping me a little. But, I'm a C so don't know if that matters.

I skipped it yesterday, and today....no BM. I will be taking it tonight!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#307486 - 05/17/07 01:00 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

You're increasing way too fast. Take the acacia at just a 1/4 teaspoon twice/day for at least 4 days or so and then you can increase by ONLY a 1/4 tsp/day. (For example, 1/2 tsp. in AM and only 1/4 tsp in PM). Wait 4-5 days again, then increase by 1/4 tsp. It looks like you are eating dairy which is an IBS trigger so I would read over the guidelines here again and make sure that it is not your food consumption contributing to the problem. Don't give up on the acacia just yet. While some people have trouble with it, so many of us have been "saved" by it, especially I think if you are a d. Welcome to the boards.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

ME? new
      #307488 - 05/17/07 02:08 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I didn't increase the Acacia that way. I did it very slowly....over months. It just kept getting worse.

The psyllium is what I take either 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp at night and it only helps.

I don't eat any dairy.

The reason I didn't give up the Acacia is because I have read posts about how it has so greatly helped other people. Unfortunately, I couldn't make my body work with it.

Maybe I will try it again.

If you are not talking about me...which now I don't think you were, then never mind!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#307493 - 05/17/07 04:11 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You increased the quantity too fast. Take it for 1 week at the same dose then increase it by 1/4 teaspoon. That means the second week you should be taking a total of 3/4 teaspoons in a day. On the third week, your dose should be 1 teaspoon in total (example 1/2 teaspoon 2 times a day), etc.

#307504 - 05/17/07 06:12 PM
Nugget

thanks...I'm just so frustrated right now and trying to get to feeling better before my husband and I go on a road trip in July to Oregon. I'm nervous that I won't feel well. thanks for the support

#307506 - 05/17/07 06:15 PM
Nugget

thanks gracie...
I guess I'm just trying to rush things. I want so much to feel better and when I continued having loose stools alot the past couple days after taking acacia, I am afraid to continue taking it. I just don't know what to do any more....wish I could just start life over with a new body. Maybe come back as a dog with a good home.

#307507 - 05/17/07 06:17 PM
Nugget

I've heard that the acacia isn't for everybody, but I had heard so many good things about it I was hoping for the best. I know it's only been a couple days, but I can't continue waking up having loose stools every day before I go to work. So I'm thinking of trying Citrucel. I used to take it along time ago....then I went through a stretch of feeling better, so I quit taking it.

#307513 - 05/17/07 08:36 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It doesn't matter what kind of fiber you take if you increase it at the rate your increased the acacia, you will get the same problems. The problem more than likely was not the acaica, it was how much you took.

Re: ME? new
      #307568 - 05/18/07 07:06 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Sorry Jordy that it didn't work for you. I wasn't referring to you in particular. I have read posts about others being allergic to it also. Maybe us d'ers have better luck with it and this poster is a d so hopefully it will work for her.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1382

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review