All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Overwhelmed...
      #307435 - 05/16/07 04:52 PM
Honijade

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Wyoming

Hey All. I'm slowly working into the IBS diet but pretty overwhelmed... Feeling pretty alone in the whole thing and hunting down food and ingredients is nearly impossible where I am. For some reason it's just not a vegetarian or special foods friendly town... I'm terrified of any fiber so taking something regularly is really daunting for some reason. I've had IBS my whole life and sometimes wonder if I can deal, although recently flare ups have worsened to a point where my husband and I are both at wits end. I'm miserable and making him miserable...

I suppose that was a rant... Is/was EVERYONE overwhelmed at the start of the diet change or lifestyle change to help cope with IBS? Crap I think even my freaking out about changing my life to cope is making my flare ups more often and worse than ever. I have ADD so planning my kitchen to have items in it alone is tough or planning meals etc...feels like I'm trying to move a mountain. Any supportive comments or ideas about how to make a transition less daunting?

Thanks in advance.

Sara

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Overwhelmed... new
      #307437 - 05/16/07 05:04 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

hi Honijade,
So just to let you know I think everyone is overwhelmed at first! I started the diet when I was living in Southern Louisiana, talk about not health food freindly! So I can empathise, the important thing is that you are taking controle of your problem, you are educating yourself, and doing what is right for you, That's the scariest, but best step, your taking back controle of your body from IBS. It takes awhile but it will get better, I'm at a point now where I'm only sick my speacil time of the month, I'm a c, and that takes a long time to fix, but you will get through it, after awhile it's second nature, and you don't have to go "hey can I eat this?" all the time, you learn what works, good luck. I also have a brother with really severe add, so I understand that too, you can do it though!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#307438 - 05/16/07 05:41 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Yes, I think we all have felt overwhelmed. I can't even remember how many posts I wrote during that period when I was learning and questioning everything. Suggestion: don't try to move that mountain...just climb up it step by step and eventually you will get there without feeling so overwhelmed. Pick a focus...like just avoiding all the triggers for now. If you can't find replacements, just find what you can and see how you feel for a week or so by just avoiding those trigger foods. I know it's a sacrifice, but when you start to feel better, you'll be motivated to pick a second focus. Then try to find let's say 2 or three new ingredients/substitutions to add to your cupboard. You don't HAVE to replace everything unless you really crave a certain food or feel it is nutritionally necessary. Next, I would consider a fiber supplement. Trust me...I was petrified of taking one b/c just the word "fiber" made my belly spin. The acacia did wonders for me in stabalizing and only a few amount of people out there ( I think) are sensitive to it. Whatever you decide to try, just make sure it is the best one for your symtoms and also that you increase it VERY slowly. (Incidentally, are you c or d or a?) Hang in there and write a plan out if it will help with your ADD. Welcome to the boards.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#307440 - 05/16/07 05:42 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hi Sara,

We all feel for you, and unfortunately we all have been there. Reading Heather's books (over and over) is really a good idea. Sometimes I just pick up her cookbook and look through the recipes, and it gives me some new and fresh ideas for meals.

In the beginning, when I was feeling especially overwhelmed, I would eat the following: bananas, white rice, pasta, plain bagels, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice chex with rice milk, and lots of homemade bread (French from the bread machine). I would eat NO fat and almost no IF. I still revert back to these foods when I am feeling badly, although I don't have to do it very often. If you stick to really simple foods with lots of SF, hopefully you can get more stable.

Regarding fiber...I take acacia at night (3 tsp) and Citrucel in the morning (one big scoop from the can). These two work the best for me. GO SLOWLY with the fiber! Start with about 1/4-1/2 tsp. once per day, and do not increase for about a week. I think acacia and Citrucel are pretty similar in their gentleness on your tummy.

You might want to talk to your doc about some anti-anxiety meds if you are feeling your daily stress is contributing to your IBS symptoms. I do not take them, but many people have had really great results with them. I have three little boys who are soon going to be finished with school...I might need them too!!

I hope some of these ideas help!

MeiMei

#307454 - 05/16/07 06:38 PM
Honijade

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Wyoming

I'm an a I guess.

Thanks so much for the responses. I feel better already (well my emotions do that is). Thanks for the tips and hints no doubt I'll be back with old questions that you've probably all heard before...LOL I'll try to search out answers first. Thanks for the support too.

Sara

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2692 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 806

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review