All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anti Anxiety and Pain Meds
      #306433 - 05/02/07 06:59 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

I know so many of you can relate to the "fear" of an attack and the "butterflies" that you get in your stomach when you have to do something out of the ordinary (rather it be a fun something or a stressful something). Does anyone take any type of anti-anxiety med for those days that you just HAVE to get something done (job interview, travel, etc) and you don't want an attack? I think just thinking about an attack can cause an attack, right! Also - during an attack, Heather's book recommended pain killers to take the edge off if you really need it. Anyone have any advice on these? I'm having a very difficult time getting stable - had to stop my acacia bc of the painful gas, bloating and pebbly stool (I know some things just don't work for everyone and I was only taking 1/4 tsp!). And it seems every time I turn around there's something else that I've eaten that I didn't think to be a trigger that actually turned in to one. Process of elimination I guess. I'm paying attention to what I'm eating and avoiding the obvious triggers. It's the not so obvious that are hard to figure out. The other day I had some avacado on my sandwich but I also had a chocolate chip cookie (yes - ONE cookie)! Was it the avacado (good) or the one little bitty cookie (not so good) that caused me to have an attack? OH - so many questions!! Help!

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti Anxiety and Pain Meds new
      #306445 - 05/03/07 04:18 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The problem with anxiety is that it can totally throw off the entire process of stabilizing - not just the worrying and causing attacks, but you can't even reliably say "this food is a trigger for me" because it could have been the anxiety as a trigger instead. There were a LOT of things I couldn't eat - actually, I couldn't eat most food, period - until I took care of my anxiety problems. THEN I was able to start stabilizing... it still took a while, but at least it wasn't like continuously running into a wall.

I don't take something as-needed for anxiety, though - I'm on Lexapro, every day. I had some pretty severe anxiety problems, so that was the best option. Tell you what, I'm so glad I went that route, because that and the diet gave me my life back.

I would recommend talking to your doctor about it. He/she may recommend something you take daily, rather than as-needed, depending on your situation and needs.

#306465 - 05/03/07 11:06 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Do a search for klonopin or clonzapam, along with searching for lexapro in the last 6 months and you will see my struggle with anxiety and decision to go on lexapro 10mg daily. I have klonopin for those really tough situations (.5mg) ONLY if I really need it and am freaking out about a situation. I would say I probably use it about 3 times/month. The lexapro has helped me IMMENSELY...but it's important to note that it was along with the diet and hypno too which I just finished all 100 days. Good luck...talk to your doctor if you're really feeling like the anxiety is controlling your life. For me it totally was...and the lexapro also helped with my physical symptoms so that gives me more confidence.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#310260 - 07/02/07 07:25 AM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Any weight gain with Lexapro??

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 457 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 858

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review