All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question About Rice Cheese
      #306284 - 05/01/07 09:36 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

I bought this Rice Shreds cheese alternative and it has casein in it. I was not going to eat it as a result of the warnings I have read on the message board and website. I then read in Heather's newsletter that soy and rice cheeses often have casein in it and that in these products it is quite tolerable. I really miss cheese. Here is the link for the nutritional information. What should I do?
http://www.galaxyfoods.com/pdfs/brandinfo/New%20Rice%20Shred%20MZ.pdf

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Basically... new
      #306296 - 05/01/07 10:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Some people can tolerate milk derivatives such as casein, and others can't. Unfortunately, you won't know which way you go on this until you try it!

The good news is that a lot of people with IBS *are* able to tolerate them, as is evidenced by the number of people here on the boards who do use cheese substitutes that contain it. Since you already bought the cheese, I'd say go ahead and give it a try.

Re: Question About Rice Cheese new
      #306298 - 05/01/07 10:57 AM
catnut

Reged: 04/08/07
Loc: Kentucky, USA

I bought a soy cheese that has casein in it. I was a little uncertain about it but I've been just fine. You just never know till you try. Now that I have I can have cheese again.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

Re: Basically... new
      #306301 - 05/01/07 11:00 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

there are a few brands of fake cheese that do not contain casein

#306330 - 05/01/07 01:53 PM
kimberste

Reged: 04/22/07

I have been looking at the soy and rice cheese alternatives in the store, because I really miss cheese, which I haven't had since I started this diet in Feb. How does it taste? I don't like to consume a lot of soy, and the rice stuff seems to be harder to find, so I want to know if it is worth it!

#306332 - 05/01/07 02:00 PM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

It tastes great but has casein in it. I've been hearing mixed reviews about whether casein is a trigger or not.

#306352 - 05/01/07 04:49 PM
catnut

I've just started to use some of it. It's not bad once in a while. I have found that over the last year my tastes have adjusted and things that I couldn't deal with then aren't so bad now. The only big soy thing I use is soy milk. I have to retry the rice milk as I haven't used it in a year and couldn't stand it then. But I did have some soy yogurt this week and the blueberry was pretty good. No digestion issues either and I still got all the good bacteria. Just try different kinds and eat it once in a while. Moderation seems to be my best course of action.

--------------------
Catnut IBS-C for many years, finally diagnosed in 2005. Wheat and dairy sensative.

#306353 - 05/01/07 04:51 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I never knew soy cheese had casein in it. In this case, could a person who can tolerate dairy (I'm hoping to be one of them but am not sure yet) just eat regular cheese?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#306355 - 05/01/07 04:57 PM
catnut

No idea. It could depend on the amount you eat. I seem to do ok if things are in small doses but mac and cheese would do me in. A slice of low fat american might be ok but for now I'm staying away from it. I don't do well with most dairy and god forbid I eat something with cream, my gut will be happy to have a fit and land me in the bathroom. All you can do is try a bit and then wait a day and see if anything shows up. I have read though that if you are sensative to something and haven't eaten it for a while you will be even more sensative to it. So, if you are going to react you will.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1674

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review