All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Couple of Questions for the PRO's out there!
      #305097 - 04/16/07 11:44 AM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

I have severe acid reflux. I've been following Heather's diet somewhat (obviously the somewhat is the problem). I've finally seen the light (after a horrific evening in the bathroom that left me shaking and calling (literally) my mother bc my DH was at work). I've now seen that eating the "bad" foods is nothing but a simple form of self torture. I've recommitted myself to Heather's advice and wisdom and have taken both books out of the shelf to reread. I've never ordered the acacia or the pepp caps. I'm ordering the acacia as soon as I get paid on Fri but am concerned the pepp caps might interfere with my acid reflux. What do you think? Also - if anyone has a free minute perhaps you can post your success stories so I can even more greatly see what a benefit this new lifestyle will be for me. I'm attending an Overeater's Anonymous meeting on Wed night simply bc I feel that eating all the "wrong" things knowing I'll be ill is a mental thing I need to deal with (and I'm about 25 lbs overweight). Thanks for all the help everybody!

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Couple of Questions for the PRO's out there! new
      #305098 - 04/16/07 11:57 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

I can tell you my experience with fairly severe acid reflux and that is that I cannot drink the peppermint tea or even suck on peppermint candy. I have not tried the capsules since I felt that it was a waste of money with my reflux. I can also tell you that if I eat a large meal, and by large I mean like maybe a whole sandwich, I have reflux. So I eat smaller meals, really graze, throughout the day. Maybe half the sandwich and some baby carrots and then about hour and half or two hours later the other half and some more carrots.
I also have came to the conclusion that eating things that set me off is not worth it. I don't think anything is worth the pain and agony my stomache goes through. I was actually very proud since my DH bought pizza last night and I only ate one tiny piece of thin crust. One piece that is only a bite and then quite.
I do feel that with the acid reflux and the IBS I have special challenges to accomodate both diseases. I know that when my reflux starts getting really bad I will reflux up into my mouth and out my nose and my chest will hurt really bad. Just not worth it.
Hope this helps

No peppermint with reflux! new
      #305112 - 04/16/07 02:03 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Hi.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I also have GERD but I'm taking meds. Have you seen a doctor? If not, you really should ...and soon. Not getting treated can lead to more serious problems. I take Nexium. I took it for about 8 weeks solid and saw improvement after about 2. I'm now on 1/2 dose because I'm pregnant but it has helped me tremendously.

You should definitely avoid the peppermint caps and peppermint tea. There are other things that trigger the reflux for me, like tomato.

Anyway, good luck to you. And if you haven't seen a doctor, make that appointment!!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: Couple of Questions for the PRO's out there! new
      #305125 - 04/16/07 04:33 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I agree with Flipada, I don't recommend peppermint with reflux. I am an oddity though - I have a hiatle hernia and almost constant reflux if I eat ANYTHING, let alone any triggers, but peppermint does not bother me! My mom has errosive esphoghitus (sp??) and can't do peppermint at all. I'm find it really helps my tum and doesn't cause me any problems. Like I said, I'm odd!

I've never tried the Acacia - still haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet. I follow the diet almost to the letter, I do cheat and have regular Tostitos, not baked, but they don't bother me. Other than that, I eat textbook meals.

I wish you lots of luck - it is a huge lifestyle adjustment to eat smaller meals, more often and with safe foods.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Success story (kinda long) new
      #305143 - 04/16/07 06:15 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I found this site in May 2004, a little before I actually registered. At the time, my IBS was so bad that I literally could not eat a thing. I was living on crackers and Coke (hey, I didn't know any better!), and I was drastically underweight, with my doctor threatening to hospitalize me. For the record, it was low-carb dieting that triggered the IBS flare that made me this sick... it set me into a downward spiral that I just could not get out of. I got sicker and sicker, and a few people close to me actually thought I was dying.

But then I found Heather and this site. I read through EVERY WORD of the site and it made a lot of sense to me. I started right away with the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" list, and registered on the boards a month later, when I saw how supportive and good about answering questions people were.

I won't lie - it was TOUGH. Fortunately, I didn't go through any real food-craving problems, because at that point I was literally not eating anything, but since it was so difficult for me to eat, it took a LONG time for even the slightest improvements. (One of the keys to the diet working is that you do actually eat, hehe.) I also had some long-standing anxiety problems to work through, as those were contributing to my IBS problems too, and that's something else that Heather recommends. This isn't just a "diet", it's a whole-lifestyle change. With all the emphasis on SF vs. IF here on the boards, I think sometimes people forget that part.

Anyway, so progress was kind of slow, but it happened. I guess I was about 4 months or so on the diet (my memory is pretty bad) before I started to see improvements. A little more than a year after I started, I considered myself "stable". I was no longer afraid to leave the house, a prisoner of my bathroom, or constantly worried about attacks.

And now I've been stable for going on 2 years! I've had IBS since I was a child, and I can honestly say that this is the longest period of stability I've ever had. It's fantastic! Heather gave me my life back! And the people here on the boards who've helped me over the years - many of whom, sadly, don't post here anymore (but that's the way the internet goes) - really helped change my attitude about IBS, so that even when the occasional bad days do happen, it's no longer the soul-crushing, panic-attack-inducing experience that it used to be.

I'm so glad you're going at this with a renewed sense of commitment! I hope you have the same success that a lot of us have had, and I think you know that if you have any questions - or even just need moral support - we're here for ya.

Oh yeah, one more thing: peppermint and reflux do NOT mix!

Re: Success story (kinda long) new
      #305160 - 04/16/07 08:09 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Thank you, Atomic Rose, for sharing your story with us.I have been on the Diet since August, 2006. I am IBS-C and for the most part have a "regular BM" every morning without the help of Miralax. I say for the most part because occassionly I do have to rely on it. Depends on my stress level. BUT I have not conquered the gas, bloating & pain.

Your story has given me renewed hope, and is such an inspiration. I would love to read other success stories!

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Re: Success story (kinda long) new
      #310952 - 07/11/07 01:43 PM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

Atomic...so glad to hear about your success. I am from Maine also...and honestly, at my wits end. Had a terrible blow out today...and I feel horrid. Have a 9 month old, and after 2 hours in and out of the bathroom...I feel like I have the shakes. I can go a few days...normal bm's...then I start to get constipated...then blow out...in and out of the bathroom. I am frightened to eat...and still breastfeeding. I get terrible ab pains. I had a bit on and off for years...however, after I started the atkins diet...my symptoms got worse...then after having the baby..even worse.

Can you tell me how you got stable? How you introduced foods? If you still are stable? Do you ever have "non-diet" foods?

Thanks so much for your help.

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1507

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review