All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Probiotics - Suggestions
      #304702 - 04/12/07 08:19 AM
ladywalker0907

Reged: 01/30/04

Okay so I just read as much as I could on the post about probiotics and it looks like I could read all day! I am IBS-D and am thinking I should start adding probiotics. I have been taking Benefiber for a few years and it works great but I still have attacks here and there. Since I assume there will be a ton of brands to choose from can I get some suggestion from other IBS-D'ers as to ones that have worked well for them? Should I also be doing digestive enzymes? Thank you all in advance for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics - Suggestions new
      #304709 - 04/12/07 08:53 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm not IBS-D, but I was for a week when I was on a strong antibiotic. I was miserable. But Bio-K helped immediately. The bottles of dairy-free soy "yogurt" aren't cheap, so it's not a long term thing, but it works great. I just finished a 3 month course of it, and it really helped. I'm sure Kat will chime in here; she's IBS-D (I think) and had great success with it also.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304713 - 04/12/07 09:06 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Im currently taking Align (www.aligngi.com) and Flora Q (can be found at www.drugstore.com) Im IBS-A (Leaning towards the D side) and I find that they help a lot. They are both in pill form, and you take one a day.

Edited by Lyndeigh (04/12/07 09:06 AM)

#304714 - 04/12/07 09:08 AM
ladywalker0907

thanks!!!

#304715 - 04/12/07 09:14 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Yep I'll chime in here
I'm IBS-D and took the BIO-K+ dairy-free soy yogurts for over 3 months. I worked up to 1 bottle/day and stayed at that dose. I found it helped most with gas/bloating and also with forming a more substancial BM. I actually felt like I was having normal person BMs.

I went off the BIO-K and tried a different probiotic (SISU Dophilus Plus) but started noticing it wasn't as effective. I increased my dose a lot and still nothing. So I caved and went back to BIO-K. I'm currently doing 1/2 bottle per day since it is expensive.

One note: I originally tried BIO-K+ once-a-day capsules (non-refrigerated) and they did nothing. I don't recommend them, and actually on the BIO-K+ site they recommend their bottles over their capsules.

--------------------
Kat

#304717 - 04/12/07 09:20 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Consumer Reports did a study on probiotics and actually tested to see which probiotic supplements actually where alive in the pill and actually colonized. So many brands including Bio-K did not do well in the study. Natures Way Reuteri did the best. Thought this might help.

#304719 - 04/12/07 09:22 AM
K2

Do you have a link to this? I've been trying to find a replacement to BIO-K so I'd love to see which ones did well.

One question: did they test BIO-K+ yogurts or pills? I tried the pills and they didn't do anything. The yogurts though I noticed a change right away.

--------------------
Kat

#304720 - 04/12/07 09:27 AM
ladywalker0907

So Bio-K is a yogurt type product? Can it be bought in a store? I read that report, too...I saw it on msn.com the other day.

I actually have very normal BM's. From reading about other people's issues mine are by far not as bad. I mainly have been stable since beginning the Benefiber. I can't eat raw veggies or fruits at all, no whole grain products and no coffee. Other than that I can eat most foods...pizza, meat and tomato based products. I almost wonder if probiotics would even be beneficial since I'm not really that bad?

#304725 - 04/12/07 09:52 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I cannot find Bio-K or the Nature's way probiotics anywhere in stores. Where do you find them??

#304730 - 04/12/07 10:12 AM
Lisa Marie

You need to go to a HFS; Wild Oats or Whole Foods will be your best bet. Bio-K+ is produced in Canada, so you can't have them shipped to YOU into the US. If your HFS doesn't carry them, maybe ask if they can order it for you.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#304759 - 04/12/07 10:53 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Does the Nature's way help C as well as D?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Is anyone (K2, Lisa Marie, ....) still using Bio-K new
      #307079 - 05/12/07 06:30 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

If not, what have you replaced it with. If you are C, bloate, gassy, did you find it helped any of that?

I am thinking about going back on it...but don't know if it did that much for what it cost. Just wondering who is still taking this!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Is anyone (K2, Lisa Marie, ....) still using Bio-K new
      #307082 - 05/12/07 06:56 AM
K2

Yep I'm back to taking them 1/2 bottle per day. I tried some refrigerated capsules but they didn't work as well, and I was taking a lot of them each day (not exactly cost-efficient either).

--------------------
Kat

Re: Is anyone (K2, Lisa Marie, ....) still using Bio-K new
      #307226 - 05/14/07 02:00 PM
Lisa Marie

Nope, not taking any probiotics. After I finished the Bio-K, I tried a different refrigerated pill probiotic and it just made me gassier! Since I've stopped, I feel much better.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#309837 - 06/25/07 06:56 PM

Unregistered

I was reading your post. Thanks so much! I purchased the Bio K pills because I can't handle dairy or soy so decided to give the pills a try. The company itself when I called said you have better results with the liquid because it goes right into the gut directly. I have IBS-C so wonder how it would help me if it helped you with IBS-D. Not sure how that all works. They say it helps both.

#309864 - 06/26/07 06:32 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I am currently taking Primal Defense and have been for about a month. I honestly don't know if it is having any effect. When this bottle runs out at the end of the week I'm going to try going without it and see if I notice a difference.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#309896 - 06/26/07 11:01 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I asked my nutritionist about this months ago and she told me to take Enzymatic Thereapy, Acidolphilus Pearls. She works with the vitamin companies as well and they both said this was the most effective one to take. Ever since, I have been taking it, I have become more regular and my bloating has gone away. Plus, you only have to take one a day. They are enteric coated, which is the best thing for your intestine walls. Good luck to you!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#309934 - 06/26/07 05:26 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It takes up to 3 months before you see a differnce with probiotics.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5979 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7040

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review