All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What fruits do you eat?
      #304666 - 04/12/07 05:30 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm getting a little tired of my usuals.

Fresh fruit I eat lately: bananas, strawberries and a few grapes. I'm good with apples and mangoes, too, but I hate cleaning them.

Canned fruit: peaches, pears, apple sauce

Oh, and I usually have a few dried cranberries in my oatmeal.

I am a stable A with D tendencies.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

BUMP! new
      #304681 - 04/12/07 07:11 AM
Snorkie

Just looking for some new ideas!

Re: What fruits do you eat? new
      #304682 - 04/12/07 07:19 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

all the fruit I eat is fresh apart from sometimes I have raisons on cereal.

so, I have apples, strawberries, raspberries (also like these frozen in a smoothie) blueberries, pineapple, banana, cherries, kiwi fruit, just recently come out of my pomegranate phase lol umm what else...think that's it but I love fruit

#304686 - 04/12/07 07:37 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Although I'm IBS-D, I do very well with fruit now - it took me a while to get to this point.

I eat blueberries in pancakes and any kind of berry in smoothies. I can eat an unpeeled apple although not first thing in the morning. I also do fine with oranges, tangerines, all those kinds of fruits although again not first thing in the morning. And I do well with pineapple especially in cooked dishes - AllieGator's Chicken Teriyaki is fabulous and I load it up with fresh pineapple. I eat lots of raisins in the Persian Rice Pilaf and Chicken Arab recipes that are on the Recipe Board and lots and lots of grapes in the Almond Chicken Salad.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#304773 - 04/12/07 01:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Winter is rough for me... fruit is so awful that all I eat is apples (always with the peel on!) and grapes when they go on sale. Sometimes I splurge on a bag of frozen berries to put in my oatmeal.

Depending on what's in season/cheap, I also like mangoes, peaches, nectarines, pears, clementines (although I don't like to eat oranges, so go figure), kiwis, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, cherries, and pineapple, which is especially tasty grilled. (Mmm, grilled pineapple and chicken kabobs...) I also like pomegranates, but they're usually something I buy for a treat once or twice a year, because I can never figure out how to use it up.

I go through phases where I like bananas and honeydew melon, but I get sick of them pretty quickly and then won't eat them again for months.

I basically never eat canned fruit, except pineapple, because that's the one fruit I'm usually too lazy to prepare fresh. I also don't like dried fruit, except cranberries.

#304791 - 04/12/07 03:50 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I eat bananas (one a day), oranges, grapefruit, canned mandarin oranges, pears, grapes, dried blueberries and cherries in my cereal. I love pineapple but we don't eat enough of it around here to justify buying a whole pineapple and to buy it cut up is so expensive.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#304793 - 04/12/07 04:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I eat pineapple 4 days a week. Its great! I find it easy to digest and since I always get four good servings out of it with no nasty pineapple ever, it is reasonably priced. I also eat 2 bananas and an orange on most days. Sometimes I have a peach cup and sometimes mango (only in summer). I don't eat grapes. I liked peeled pears and in summer I eat strawberries. I also like grapefruit with salt on it. I usually put raisins/craisins in my hot cereal and cookies. I like pineapple or papaya in rice with soy milk for breakfast.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#304795 - 04/12/07 04:06 PM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

Oh that sounds good.....rice w/ soymilk and pineapple. Do you use regular or vanilla soy milk?

#304805 - 04/12/07 05:47 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

Sorry to ask this but I'm very new at this right now and I though that all vegetables & fruits were to be cooked, chopped & pureed, didn't know we could eat them fresh. Please give me more info. Thanks

Angel new
      #304821 - 04/13/07 03:06 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

That's the way you should start out the diet. The whole point in the beginning is to get rid of the stuff that's causing problems. THEN, you can slowly build other foods into your diet (one at a time). If you add more than one at a time you run the risk of not finding your true triggers. If you are a C and have trouble getting things moving then some of these fruits will help. It's a delicate balance. Please take your time. Don't jump in with the fresh fruits. Just know that you probably won't have to do without them forever.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#304828 - 04/13/07 07:04 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

And cooked/chopped/pureed is more of an "or" statement than an "and" one. I eat cooked green beans, but I don't chop or puree them. I chop up strawberries and put them on cereal, but I don't cook or puree them (well, they get pureed in smoothies, but not cooked). And bananas...well, they just get eaten as is!

Cooking/chopping/pureeing makes things easier to handle, but once you get stable (particularly if you're C), you can live on the wild side a bit more. I eat salads (not iceberg lettuce and not all the time), I eat apples out of hand, etc. The big revelation for me with Heather's diet is that if you have the soluble fiber, fruits and vegetables are no longer the enemy!

--AC

Re: What fruits do you eat? A lettuce question? new
      #304945 - 04/14/07 12:41 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I miss lettuce big time I was always eating on everything I was just wondering what kind of lettuce you eat if not ice berg lettuce! Thanks
Emmasmom
ibs-c

Leaf Lettuce new
      #304956 - 04/14/07 02:19 PM
Snorkie

I use leaf lettuce instead of iceberg. Note, however, that I was on the IBS diet for a year before I could tolerate more lettuce than just a little on a sandwich.

Re: Leaf Lettuce new
      #304969 - 04/14/07 04:28 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I recently had spinach leaves in a salad and was able to tolerate it with some SF. But I can also tolerate iceberg in small quantities so I don't know if that helps you much. I'd be curious to hear what kinds other people think are the most tolerable types of lettuce.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Leaf Lettuce new
      #304976 - 04/14/07 09:02 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

To me, the main problem with eating lettuce as a salad is that you end up swallowing a lot of air with it. And my main problem is bloating/trapped. gas. I used to eat a baby-spinach salad almost every day, but now that I'm not doing as well, I'll steam the spinach instead.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: What fruits do you eat? A lettuce question? new
      #304991 - 04/15/07 09:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I actually do eat iceberg lettuce - I prefer it over the other types, it has more water and crunch. But I'll second what Snorkie said... I was on the diet for a LONG time before I could tolerate more lettuce than just a few shreds on a sandwich.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 878 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3081

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review