All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Interesting Ideas for Incorporating IF into foods........
      #304617 - 04/11/07 02:31 PM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

if you have some I would appreciate ideas. So far some good ones are:
Oatmeal with berries,raisins,or flax
Banana Smoothie w/ berries
Spinach, Tomato, Onion Omelet
Anything Else...Thanks in advance

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Interesting Ideas for Incorporating IF into foods........ new
      #304619 - 04/11/07 03:24 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Almost every week I make some kind of bean dip to eat with guiltless gourmet baked corn chips. I love Shell's artichoke hummus and Heather's smokey black bean dip. Great sources of IF, but safe because the beans are pureed.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: those are all very constipating new
      #304650 - 04/11/07 06:51 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

bananas, oats and berries are major triggers for C

#304651 - 04/11/07 08:06 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Berries are IF and should not contribute to C. Bananas and Oats are considered SF so they're not constipating, but you should eat more IF especially if you're C to get things moving along more quickly.

Re: Jenny833 new
      #304655 - 04/11/07 08:14 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi. I'm sorry, Jenny, but I don't think the information you have is correct and it's contradictory to what's presented in the IBS Diet. Could you please provide a source for this information? Thanks! Also, did you see Heather's response to another post of yours? It's here: http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=304589&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1.

Too much insoluble fiber (like what's found in berries) can irritate the GI tract and it's these spasms in the colon can cause D or C. If you eat these foods with a good soluble fiber base (usually bland foods, like rice, potatoes, or white bread) this can provide a "cushion" for your digestive tract. Oatmeal contains both SF and IF, so it's safe for most people - especially if it's well-cooked and eaten with more SF (like toast). Bananas are also a good source of soluble fiber. Berries are higher in IF, but most people seem to tolerate them fine when they're pureed and mixed with a SF fruit like bananas. I think it's important to find a good mix of SF and IF in order to prevent IBS episodes.

Have you read the information on the site about soluble fiber and insoluble fiber? Soluble Fiber vs Insoluble Fiber

#304662 - 04/12/07 03:05 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I've never had a problem with berries, oats or bananas. All are a part of my daily diet. I'm a C'er.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#304667 - 04/12/07 05:30 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

well these foods always constipate me so i avoid them, especially bananas and oatmeal. ever heard of the BRAT diet? this is given to children to slow down diarrhea, so for people with slow colonic motility it will have a constipating effect - its important to keep in mind that fiber intake isnt always the issue with IBS_C'rs, there are other factors causing the problem as in my case.

Just curious new
      #304673 - 04/12/07 06:28 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

what kind of berries constipate you? All?

I have problems with the other two mentioned foods, too. But never would have thought that a berry could cause a problem.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#304674 - 04/12/07 06:29 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

its important to keep in mind that fiber intake isnt always the issue with IBS_C'rs, there are other factors causing the problem as in my case.

Like what? I'm interested.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

BRAT diet new
      #304684 - 04/12/07 07:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

As for as I know, the bananas, rice, applesauce, toast diet isn't recommended because it's constipating but because it's soothing. That is, it doesn't actively slow down colonic motility; rather it doesn't further irritate an already annoyed gut.

As Maria explained so well, it's the combination of SF to soothe and IF to move things along that's important under Heather's guidelines. So if you eat only bananas, for example, you're getting the SF to soothe your gut but not the IF to tell it to get moving. The combinations Andrew gave seem like excellent balances of SF and IF (assuming he eats some SF with his omelet).

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1393

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review