All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
White and sourdough bread contains wheat?
      #304400 - 04/09/07 03:31 PM
ShelleyD

Reged: 04/09/07

Hi,
This is my first post and I can't even figure how how I got here to do this????? I'm trying to follow Heather's diet but so many recipes call for white bread or sourdough bread and I have a wheat allergy. White bread and sourdough bread, as far as I understand is made from wheat flour. I assume that my wheat allergy precludes me eating white bread or sourdough bread but I haven't been able to verify that anywhere. Does anyone know. I don't want to increase my dis-ease by putting any wheat into my system. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: White and sourdough bread contains wheat? new
      #304416 - 04/09/07 04:34 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

There are other SF foods that do not have wheat in them and you should try those instead of the breads. Acacia SFS is also available and does not contain wheat products.

#304419 - 04/09/07 04:39 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

What about rice breads? Do those contain wheat? I have seen them at my HFS.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304420 - 04/09/07 04:41 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Do you have a problem with gluten, or is it some other type of wheat allergy? Are you making or buying the bread?

#304428 - 04/09/07 05:39 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Several people here are gluten or wheat intolerant. The diet is very easy to do without wheat. Of course white bread is made from wheat; have you ever seen a field of white? Anyway buying gluten free breads and using rice and other grains that contain soluble fiber will be fine. There is no reason to think you actually HAVE to eat wheat. Wheat is the least tolerated grain here, even for people who don't have allergies. As long as you eat other soluble fiber grains you will be fine. I have gone off wheat several times myself and ate a lot of rice, potatoes and oats.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#304429 - 04/09/07 05:42 PM
ShelleyD

You recommend gluten free bread. Does that include spelt? That's the only gluten free bread that I'm aware of. Thanks for your response.

#304431 - 04/09/07 05:44 PM
ShelleyD

I'm sure about the wheat, don't know about gluten in general. I buy bread - never made it, don't really want to. Thanks

#304432 - 04/09/07 05:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are various gluten free breads. They vary in taste and in grains. Most have a mixture of grains. The best thing to do is go to a store that has natural foods and ask there which ones taste best. Many stoes have vast gluten/wheat free areas. I take it you haven't been wheat free very long. It is important to learn all about what is safe for you to eat and what kinds of grains are out there. You should read up on the gluten free and Celiac disease websites. They have extensive lists and info on being wheat free.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#304433 - 04/09/07 05:46 PM
ShelleyD

I'll look into it. I've been eating spelt bread but I think that's probably high in non-soluble fiber but I don't know.

#304434 - 04/09/07 05:48 PM
ShelleyD

Sorry, I'm not familiar with SF?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 801 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2848

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review