All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Somethin I don't quite understand......
      #304333 - 04/09/07 09:37 AM
AndrewIBSC

Reged: 03/23/07
Loc: PHiladelphia, PA

If I take a SF supplement before I eat do I still need to have more soluble fiber in that meal. Right now I am taking Benefiber 4 times a day and eating soluble fiber and insoluble fiber for my meals and I am constipated. I am wondering whether I am getting too much fiber. I also drink plenty of water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Somethin I don't quite understand...... new
      #304384 - 04/09/07 01:28 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

The key is that as you increase your SFS, you will also decrease the SF you get from actual food. That doesn't mean eliminate your food-based SF, just decrease it. I find my SFS gives me the most benefit when I mix it into whatever I'm eating.

How many grams of fiber from benefiber are you getting each day? My guess is that you need to decrease your SF a little and increase your IF a little.

Does that help?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304492 - 04/10/07 10:26 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I agree. It seems that most people say to increase the SFS but as for me, I love to eat the SF type foods like rice, pasta, and bread. That combined with the acacia, I was getting c and gassy so I reduced the SFS but I still eat SF at each meal. For example, I just had a smoothie with a banana and blueberry. When I was stabalizing, I used to mix in acacia. Today I just counted the banana as my SF to cushion the berries. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#304523 - 04/10/07 03:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

To be on the safe side, I'd still eat a little SF with the meal, but the key is "a little"... honestly, it's a little contrary to Heather's diet advice, but especially where you're a C, I wouldn't make meals that are primarily SF. But you DO need to still make sure you're getting an adequate amount of SF, so I wouldn't go giving it up completely, even with the supplement.

It sounds to me like you need to increase your IF. You just haven't found the right balance between the two yet, which is totally par for the course - it took me more than a year to get it right.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4329 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review