All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
what should I do
      #303456 - 03/29/07 05:15 AM

Unregistered

My cousin is getting married in june. She wants me to spend the night the day before the wedding. I told her i'd be happy to bring my own food. She said "No I'll make you something but I don't know what." She said "Fruit will be there" I Said "no" then said why. She said "fruit makes you regular." Then I explained to her I hardly eat any fruit. Well she continued to ask about pork chops,hamburger, lots of stuff I couldn't eat. I just said no to all those things and said why I couldn't eat that. I said lots of carb food, i eat lots of rice. She said wheat noodles are good,i said no I can't eat those.Do any of you Ibs-c eat wheat noodles? So it sound like i'll be living off some rice for 2 days...Even though she said she'd cook for me, I'm still going to bring my own food..At the wedding reception too. The thing is I don't want to make her feel bad and I really don't want to attract attention to myself at the reception..My aunt or someone will be offering me to try something..or someone wil notice I'm not eating the wedding cake..I could say my stomach hurts and I don't want to eat much at the reception. I'm going to be stressed out too because I really don't like my grandpa, he's not a good man, neither is my aunt, she took care of me for about 10 years and it was hell becaue I was always treated like [censored] and i'd only crap once a week and always plug the toiltet and she got mad at me..maybe by some miracle i'd get the flue or something..My cousin said I can drink at her house, I really wanted to so I said cool. I know from my family they'll be telling me how fruit and vegtables are good and what i should eat, then i'll give them my ibs explanation why, my family will just look at me funny when i tell them or its in my head or something..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what should I do new
      #303458 - 03/29/07 05:43 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Why don't you eat fruits & vegetables? I am IBS-C and the only way I was able to come off the Miralax was to incorporate enough fruits & vegetables along with the SF to get things moving. Any way that doesn't answer your question.
You don't have to explain anything to anyone. It is your body and only you know how eating the wrong things make you feel. Don't apologize for your IBS and don't feel pressured to explain things to people who don't understand or care to understand. I take my own foods to events and no longer feel pressured to explain. Take care of yourself.

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

thank you new
      #303462 - 03/29/07 06:48 AM

Unregistered

what should i say if ppl start asking me questions or tell me what to do? does acacia work for you?

Re: thank you new
      #303463 - 03/29/07 07:05 AM
ECM

This is what I finally said after having my family and friends try to argue with me about my diet. "I am on a specialized diet to control my IBS. I know what I can eat and what I can't eat". When people tried to continue with the arguement, I just said, "When you have walked a mile in my shoes, then you can give me all the advise you want. Until then, please respect my decisions and accept me for me"
It may sound harsh; but until you take a stand regarding your own health, others will continue to tell you what to do.

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Re: thank you - re: acacia new
      #303464 - 03/29/07 07:09 AM
ECM

PS: The acacia does work for me, but I have to get enough fruits and vegetables to keep things moving cushioning them with SF such as pasta, rice, or potatoes. And don't forget excercise - very important.

Snookie, IBS-C

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#303489 - 03/29/07 10:05 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

weddings are the worst! especially when it's someone close like that who wants you to be involved. I had to go to a wedding shortly after starting the IBS diet and it COMPLETELY stressed me out and I ended up having an attack. Not fun. In situations like that, I often just tell people that I have food allergies and prefer to bring my own food. I think people who don't understand will take "food allergies" more seriously than "IBS". See if you can get a vegetarian, dairy-free meal at the reception (I tell waiters that I have a dairy allergy), and fill up on the white bread! Take lots and lots of tea bags with you and make your own tea. I ALWAYS take tea bags to restaurants and ask for a cup of hot water.

We all know how difficult it is to make family and friends understand what we're going through, and how eating seemingly healthy foods (fruits and veggies) doesn't work for us unless we do it a certain way. You know how different foods make you feel; stand up for yourself! And above all, enjoy the wedding!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#303502 - 03/29/07 11:16 AM

Unregistered

that sounds really good. The thing is most everyone in my family knows i have problems,i don't know who doesn't know, so maybe i'd say "I'm really sensitive to foods so I always make my own" or if its a waiter or someone I dont' know i;ll say "food allergies" maybe not, maybe just the sensitive one.

Re: thank you - re: acacia new
      #303506 - 03/29/07 11:36 AM

Unregistered

yes, i need to exercise more... I find myself taking a few days to clean my room when it should take an hour or 2-I stare at stuff and pick a piece of garbage up every few minuets then in like 2 days i get to folding clothes. Then its messy in about a week. I need to get over that real fast so I can start exercising. I often find myself dreaming of having a hot body and going to the bathroom more while I binge eat or do nothing. Are any of you Ibs ppl like this? I could take fennel capsules with me to the wedding? I have no idea what brand or where to buy online though.

benefiber and acacia new
      #303591 - 03/30/07 05:17 AM

Unregistered

Can I take benefiber with acacia or just the acacia?

Flylady for getting your house clean new
      #303660 - 03/31/07 03:59 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

I know some here, including me, use Flylady to get their house in order. I too had no energy and didnt know how to get my house clean and it took forever.. Now it takes no time at all.

Try it, maybe it will work for you too.

bumpt,nt new
      #304457 - 04/10/07 06:27 AM

Unregistered

Re: benefiber and acacia new
      #304467 - 04/10/07 07:41 AM
Lisa Marie

Why spend the money on both? I would just stick with the acacia. I've heard from others around here that it's cheaper gram for gram than benefiber anyway.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#304602 - 04/11/07 01:01 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

If you want to, it's fine. There are a few people on this board who mix and match 3 or 4 different kinds.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#304630 - 04/11/07 04:37 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

EMC, You said you eat Fruit & Vegetable by cushioning them with pasta rice & potatoes. My question is are the fruits and vegetables raw or do you cook them. Also do you have to eat fruits with the cushioning or can you wait a while. Could you give me a example of what and how you eat, it seem like you've been at it a while I'm new and just starting out but it's for my special daughter and not me and it really hard for me to find out what she can eat and I know she need more fruit & vegetables. Thanks for all the info you can give me. Also what I've wanted to know if by any chance do any one tolerate cheese & skim milk, I know y'all say it a trigger food but if you take a lactose with it would it help? I wanted to see if My daughter could tolerate the cheese and milk but since she doing just ok for right now but still in some pain I didn't wanted to stir things up yet. Please help I need a lot of information and it's even harder because it's not me in pain so sometime I don't find out she in pain until she really feels bad. She tolerates pain well until it get's really bad. Thanks again

Dairy Products new
      #304631 - 04/11/07 04:43 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The problem with dairy products is not just the lactose. Milk including skim milk, and lactaid milk, and dairy products contain proteins that are really hard on an IBSers tummy.

Triggers and Explanation new
      #304633 - 04/11/07 04:49 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

This info here will tell you what the IBS triggers are and why.
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/trigger2.asp

Re: what should I do - Angel in Pain new
      #304635 - 04/11/07 05:05 PM
ECM

I have been on the diet for over 8 months. I cook all my vegetables. Raw veggies don't agree with me. As far as fruits, I use to peel them, but I am able to eat the skins now.
Sample Meal (This is what I had today)
Breakfast -
1 tablespoon of acacia in water
Oatmeal with blue berries
Peppermint tea

Snack -
Pretzels

Lunch -
Hunan Chicken. They know me at the Chinese restaurant and fix it for me the way I need it.
Steamed rice, chicken, "cooked" broccoli, carrots.
Peach halves for dessert.
Tension tammer tea

Snack -
Pretzels

Dinner -
Homemade Chicken Vegetable soup
Sliced apple
Peppermint tea

Snack before Bed - (haven't had this yet)
Fruit Smoothie made with soy milk, 1 tablespoon of acacia, 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed, 1 banana, honey to taste, & frozen mixed fruits

Someone suggested recently to start adding IF & fruit using baby food. I think this is a very good idea. Think of this diet as if you are a new baby being introduced to new foods. Cooked and pureed at first then with chunks, etc.

I would not give your daughter cheese or cow's milk. Dairy products are a trigger and cheese can be very constipating.
For milk, try soy, almond, or rice milk.

Good luck, I applaud you for helping you daughter.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Re: what should I do - Angel in Pain new
      #304808 - 04/12/07 06:20 PM
Angel in Pain

EMC,
Thanks for taking the time in giving me your information, it has help me a lot. Also does anyone ever eat any of the healthy frozen dinners?
Thanks again

#304809 - 04/12/07 06:30 PM
Angel in Pain

I also was wondering about the difference with benefiber & Acacia. The first week I started on the IBS dies I was using benefiter because I had not received the acacia yet. Then when I stated using the acacia and for 2 week it seemed that my daughter was not feeling as good as she was with benefiber, also I don't like the way the acacia is harder to mix in water and it stays a little chalkey, the benefiber is clear and no taste. I also was using the benefiber caps with the acacia because when my daughter was at day camp it was easier for her than for me to sent the powder. So we have been back on just the benefiber this week and she seems to be doing good or at least a little better, because she still has some pain, but at least she is going now some. Thank GOD.

#304827 - 04/13/07 06:48 AM

Unregistered

I'm actually taking fibercon, i got the names mixed up.

#304846 - 04/13/07 10:03 AM
Lisa Marie

When you switched from benefiber to acacia, did you use the same doses of each? One teaspoon of acacia is NOT the same as one teaspoon of benefiber! Gram for gram, acacia has a higher SF content. If you DID use the same amounts of each, that would explain why your daughter didn't feel well on the acacia.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

either one can be used along with Acacia-nt new
      #304852 - 04/13/07 11:36 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 965 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4355

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review