All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Desperate-Should Acacia Fiber do this?
      #301885 - 03/09/07 06:08 AM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

I didn't get any replies to my last post about this problem so I'm trying again as I am pretty desperate! From "D" to "C" with lots of bloating and gas since starting on the Acacia Fiber just over 3 weeks ago. I am so uncomfortable not being able to have a decent BM instead of the small soft ones somedays not even that. I feel like I need to go all of the time but can't. I was up at 5 AM this morning and decided to do something drastic, I did not have the fiber but had a Weetabix(Wheat) mixed with my usual oatmeal and a little honey followed by a large cup of coffee. An hour later I finally was able to go, but just alittle again but it relieved some of the discomfort. The only fruit I've been eating is Papaya, applesauce, veggie- carrots, potatoes sweet/regular, peas,braised fennel, chicken or fish I really do not want to give up on the Fiber,I was so impressed when I read about it and all of the good it has done for many, but I seem to be in worse shape than before I started taking it. I take 1 1/2 tsp each morning and night, been drinking lots of water and herbal teas which is also making my bladder work overtime, my sleep is messed up worse than usual, I am getting over-anxious and depressed, any suggestions please.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Desperate-Should Acacia Fiber do this? new
      #301886 - 03/09/07 06:19 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You need to incorporate INsoluble fiber foods into your diet. You're seriously deficient in those, from the sounds of things, and you NEED to be eating them - for IBS management and for general health. More about insoluble fiber foods here.

Also, I don't know what your daily routine is like, but exercise really does help. Even just walking, but I found yoga to be especially helpful, in particular the asanas that stretch the front of the body deeply, such as cow/cat.

Do keep taking the acacia. The problem isn't the acacia, but that you need to progress beyond the "eating nothing but soluble fiber" stage. Remember to do it gradually. It may take a bit of tweaking, but you'll eventually reach your balance.

Good luck!

#301891 - 03/09/07 07:39 AM
GenieG

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Thanks Atomic Rose, I know you are right, "Line 415" more or less told me the same thing when I started with this "C". I was OK on the fiber in the beginning when I was only taking 1/2 to 3/4 tsp twice a day, now I'm up to 1 1/2 tsp maybe for me it's too much,should I decrease it? When I'm stabilized I do eat real healthy, lo-fat, salads fruits, etc without any problems. I have tried eating IF foods again in the past week usually with my evening meal and this is when I get the worse bloating and terrible gas pains, almost immediately after eating them, it scares the heck out of my husband. I guess I need to eat some during the day too, I bought some Beano but haven't taken it yet as a friend told me it made her sick. I went to Whole Foods to get a Digesive Enzyme but was overwhelmed at the choices, did not know what to buy. What started this latest "D" flare-up, which led me to try the Acacia Fiber, was a bad case of Food Poisoning or Bug at the beginning of the year so possibly I have a lot of bad bacteria that the Culterelle I take each day doesn't help. I tend to be an over-active peron, I ride my bike, walk, maybe I should start my water aerobics again. Thank you for your advice, I was so disappointed when I didn't get any replies after my post yesterday.

#302081 - 03/12/07 12:14 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Genie, 3 weeks? No wonder you're gassy! I'm taking 1-1/2 tsp. 3-4 times a day right now, but I've been using a SF supplement for 5-6 months now. The key, when you're adding a soluble fiber supplement to your diet, is to increase your dosage s-l-o-w-l-y. I had to start very low, at 1/4 tsp. 3 times a day, and increased slightly every 6 weeks or so. On my current dosage, I'm able to tolerate a lot more IF, e.g. I'm eating "an apple a day" (with peel on)... still can't do salads, though.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 394 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 761

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review