All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone else take Lomotil/Lonox?
      #301759 - 03/07/07 07:57 PM
MySumoBaby

Reged: 10/22/06
Loc: California

Ever since I was diagnosed, about 6 months or so ago, I have been taking Lonox (generic of Lomotil). It's a prescription anti-diarrheal and I was just wondering if anyone else has taken it or is currently taking it? I take it every morning I have school (4 days a week) for fear that I'll have an attack on my way to school. I'm getting kind of nervous that I'm going to become dependent on it which scares me because I want to become stable without using drugs everyday. I am on Heather's diet, take the peppermint capsules, drink the fennel and pepermint tea, and take 1-2 lonox a day and sometimes I still have an attack...
It's so frustrating. I wish I could just have a normal diet. I went grocery shopping with my sister a few days ago and while she was grabbing drumstick ice cream cones (I have the biggest sweet tooth) I was searching out the rice cakes.. I know everyone gets discouraged once in a while, but it really does stink to have to eat completely differently than everyone else. Sorry for the complaining...just needed to vent.

~Erica

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone else take Lomotil/Lonox? new
      #302016 - 03/11/07 02:13 PM
arctic masticator

Reged: 09/14/06
Loc: Alaska/Cali

Sumo, I've been taking Lomotil for many months now. Mine have 2.5mg Diphenyloxylate and .025mg Atropine in each tablet, and I take between 2 and 4 each morning, depending on how bad I feel. I've also been strictly adhering to Heather's diet for nearly 5 months now with some improvement, but nothing near stability. What is in your Lonox version? I can't find that generic name on my bottle...

I'm in a similar boat where I'd like to cure myself completely with diet or herbal remedies, but I'm forced into taking medications so I can keep a job and attempt to live a life that I enjoy. I REALLY don't want to become dependent on these Lomotil. Do you find they work better than Imodium? The main reason I'm taking them instead of Imodium is because they're waaaay cheaper through my medical plan.

Any other things you find that are working for you? I take 3 tablespoons Acacia fiber with breakfast and dinner, peppermint pills and calcium and l-glutamine with every meal, and a multivitamin with dinner. I basically live on chicken, white rices, rice cakes, sourdough bread, rice crackers, and potatoes/yams supplemented with applesauce, squash, carrots, and homemade banana bread. I don't enjoy the restricted diet, but I've learn to deal with it in order to be able to do what I like to do otherwise. Even so, I feel like I'm destroying my body with lack of vegetables and whole grains.

Sorry for the long post...any responses?

--------------------
Dash
IBS-D(Tenacious D)

#302024 - 03/11/07 05:52 PM
MySumoBaby

Hi Artic,
My Lomotil has the same quantities of the atropine and Diphenloxylate and I do find that they work for me. a few months ago i was actually able to wean myself off them. This was successful until finals hit-since then my body's been crazy.

I'm strict with heather's diet and that seems to help, but I still feel extremely anxious in the AM if I don't take at least 2 tablets. As far as diet, I'm pretty much living on the same thing as you, but experimenting so I can get a bigger variety. I do the same thing with Acacia powder, but I also add at least 1-2 T to anything I cook at home. I feel the same as you do about fruit and veggies too. I'm able now to get my veggies by cooking them with my rice or in some IBS friendly chow mein(there's a super yummy recipie for Chicken and Veggie chow mein on the recipie index).

I was actually prescribed Lomotil, but in order to same me $ (no insurance) my pharmacist gave me Lonox which is just the generic brand of the same drug. I used to also live on Immodium Ad, but I think the lomotil is much stronger and gives me the confidence I need to be able to leave the house in the morning. I usually only have to take it in the AM. The downside though is that it doesn't seem to help if I'm super stressed/anxious or if I can feel an attack coming on. But I guess that would take a miracle drug.

~Erica

#302089 - 03/12/07 01:07 PM
arctic masticator

Yeah, I also can't commit to leaving the house without taking either Lomotil or Imodium as a safety measure. What vegetables seem to work the best for you, and how much do you eat in a day? Do you take Beano or another enzyme to help with them? Also, do you take any supplements or probiotics that work for you?

One more thing, out of curiosity: are you in college? I first really noticed my symptoms in my first year of college when I was 18. When searching for a cause, I couldn't find anything in the past (travels, illnesses, mistreated water from camping) that would have led to the IBS. Just wondering if your symptoms also seemed to appear out of the blue for no apparent reason? I thought it was the cafeteria food at first, but quickly realized that wasn't it!

--------------------
Dash
IBS-D(Tenacious D)

#302230 - 03/13/07 07:20 PM
MySumoBaby

I usually only eat veggies with my dinner and it's usually smothered in a food that's full of solube fiber like rice or french or sourdough bread. I seem to be okay with cauliflower (steamed and plain), white cabbage, green onions, green peppers, snap peas, corn (I can eat all the corn I want), and celery. Every once in a while I'll throw something new in a huge bowl of rice and I seem to do okay. I ocassionaly take tums or any generic gas tablet, but because I stay really close to Heather's diet I don't experience too much bloating anymore. If i do though, fennel tea is the biggest help of anything.

I am in college, but I can remember having IBS symptoms back to high school. I just chalked it up to being a very shy and nervous person. However, they pretty much disapeared, except during that time of the month, until about 8 or so months ago. That's when it got really bad.

#302241 - 03/13/07 08:45 PM
arctic masticator

Wow, you're lucky, you get to eat all the corn you want! That seems like a hard one to reintroduce for most people from what I've read... I'll have to try some of those foods again, maybe the green peppers or green onions.

Your history of IBS sounds like it could be a common one among women. If hormones aren't at the center of it all, they're a serious exacerbation. Have you tried any of the drugs that have had a decent record of success in women? I'm on the male end of things, and seem to be getting the short end of the stick on IBS research and success stories.

Do you know if there are any rice cakes that are made solely from white rice, which would help avoid the extra IF? I live on those things and have pretty well stuck with Lundberg's Honey Nut flavor.

--------------------
Dash
IBS-D(Tenacious D)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 583 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2250

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review