All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy help
      #301648 - 03/07/07 06:32 AM
Raivenx

Reged: 03/06/07

I have IBS (probably A) with lots of bloating. I've been following the IBS diet guidelines now for 1 week and I have a question about soy. I've cut out all dairy and am having soy milk with my cereals. This morning, I woke up with a flat stomach and had a bowl of corn chex with soy milk. Now I'm gassy and bloated and my pants hardly fit me. Can it be that I'm allergic to soy? I didn't get this bloated from regular milk. What's going on here?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy help new
      #301650 - 03/07/07 06:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I cannot eat soy products of any kind including soy sauce. They give me gas and bloating. Many people on this board have reported problems with soy products.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#301653 - 03/07/07 07:19 AM
Raivenx

Reged: 03/06/07

Well it looks like I'm having the same issue. Since you have IBS with bloating and are sensitive to soy as well, can you give me some helpful tips that work well for you? I'd appreciate it!

#301659 - 03/07/07 07:53 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Try a different milk alternative. I had the same reaction to soy milk, so I switched to rice milk which made a big difference.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#301661 - 03/07/07 08:01 AM
sophiejay

Reged: 07/26/06
Loc: England

I think the problem with soy is it comes from beans and they contain rafinose which when its digested causes gass in your gut which then causes bloating etc, a good thing to do is to try beano pills, they contain an ingredient that helps your body break down the rafinose in the soy. Plus if you haven't had soy much before you need to have small amounts at a time to let your gut get used to digesting it, then with beano pills also you can slowly increase the amount. Give it a shot, if you still get problems then maybe rice milk is the thing for you, but that made me just as bloated as soy milk did! Good luck

#301677 - 03/07/07 09:28 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I can handle soy but only in small amounts. I drink Soyfee daily which is a coffee alternative and then I try not to have to much soy or soy replacements (like things with tofu, etc.) after that. If I do have it, I have started taking Beano which seems to help a bit. But as far as your cereal goes, you'd probably want to try a little longer to see if your body adjusts and if not switch to rice or almond milk. Rice milk doesn't fare too well with me either, but I like almond milk in my oatmeal and smoothies. I have not gotten to the point where I can eat cold cereal with a milk alternative so I just don't eat it.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#301829 - 03/08/07 02:31 PM
MominMaine

Reged: 02/20/07

I have been following EFI for over one year (with occasional cheating). My bloating still occurs almost every day. Replacing soy with rice milk helped except that I miss the protein in my oatmeal. I wish I could try almond milk but I am mildly allergic to almonds. This is all very frustrating. Beano doesn't seem to help me with soy but it does help with some gassy vegetables. Hang in there! We will each figure this out for ourselved at some point.

IBS - C with gas and bloating

#301854 - 03/08/07 05:28 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

If you want more protein, add some rice protein powder to your oatmeal; I buy vanilla flavored powder and add it to my smoothie every morning!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 591 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1370

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review