All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
acacia and probiotics-Heather
      #29892 - 12/03/03 11:17 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I just received the newsletter and read more on Heathers fiber acacia but I have a few more questions.

1. I already take acidifilus and bifidus(sp??) they are both probiotics, if I start the acaica can I stop taking them since the acaicia has probiotics in it??

2. I currently take 6-8 fiber con a day, would I continue with the fibercon or would the acacia replace it??

3. Can I mix it in my morning cocktail of miralax and immune booster powder??

Thanks very much for all your help and support!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acacia and probiotics-Heather new
      #29922 - 12/03/03 03:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Michelle - You can take the Acacia and probiotics both. You can't really get too much good gut flora. You might find that after you've been on Acacia for a month or two you can taper of the probiotics - I'm honestly not sure. It wouldn't hurt to just continue with both. The Acacia is a prebiotic, not a probiotic. This means that it encourages the growth of good gut flora. The probiotics actually ARE good gut flora.

I'd switch from the Fibercon to the Acacia, but keep the pills on hand in your purse and car. They'll come in handy when you're out and about and need to take some soluble fiber. You can always mix and match different types of soluble fiber, whether foods and supplements. Fibercon is a really low dose of fiber - just 1 gram per pill. So you're currently taking 3-4 grams per day. There's more than 4 grams of soluble fiber in 1 T of Acacia. So, when you switch start out with 1 teaspoon of the Acacia twice daily, and increase your dose gradually.

I'm not sure about your morning cocktail - can you take the Miralax with food? If you can, you should be able to have it with the Acacia. I'd check with your doc or pharmacist about this. What I'd hope is that as you increase your Acacia dose you'll be able to taper off the Miralax altogether. I've already heard from some folks who have been able to do that (one person was able to come off of Zelnorm too!)

Let me know how things go.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: acacia and probiotics-Heather new
      #29986 - 12/04/03 07:50 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thanks Heather-thats great! I'll order my acacia today and let you know wheat happens to my miralax dose in the weeks/months to come!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4374 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 472

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review