Pages: 1
What to eat (mainly question on fruit)?
      #297248 - 01/19/07 06:27 AM
Christian Bale

Reged: 01/17/07
Loc: Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Hello again

I'm just starting on the IBS diet and I have a few questions regarding fruit:-
Of the insoluble fruits when can I eat them?
What about things that were staples in my diet such as oranges, kiwi fruit, grapefruit and melon (honeydew)?
Also a question about jam. Is jam ok on the IBS diet. I've scanned "The first year" and I can't see any mention of it but it seems to fit within the criteria for safe food however I do like strawberry jam.
Also what about honey and agave nectar?

Kind regards as always

Tim

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to eat (mainly question on fruit)? new
      #297258 - 01/19/07 07:14 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You can eat all insoluble fruits and veggies after a base of soluble foods. If you eat a banana or a mango and then have an orange you will be fine. Jam with toast or another SF food is fine as long as it is HFCS free.
However, if you are doing the break the cycle diet to start with you would avoid anything but what is on the ultra safe list. After that you can eat other foods with a SF base.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#297268 - 01/19/07 08:19 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Well...

Initially, to stabilize, I had to refrain from eating all the fruit you describe. Unfortunately that was the case, but it helped me stabilize quicker.

Now that i am stable, I can eat one orange or half a grapefruit but AFTER a meal (so... not as a snack), I haven't tried larger quantities.

For snacks, the fruits that are IBS friendly I use are bananas and peeled apples (until you stabilize, peeled, after that try unpeeled, you might tolerate them).

Jam, well, depends on how much you use. Strawberies are generally an IF fruit and if the jam has a high strawbery density (yum), you should eat small amounts, keeping in mind it's IF. Most people eat small amounts of jam, but I've seen my brother going at it with the spoon so I'm ponting that out.

HFCS is a problem generally just for fructose intollerant people. Syl, the science guru here, has cited numerous articles pointing out that if you have IBS, your probability of being fructose intollerant is higher (than if you did not have IBS). Unfortunately, I don't remember the numbers any more, but you might be able to find the posts on this board.

So, if you think Fructose might be a problem, avoid HFCS (might be called glucose-fructose syrup in Europe) and honey You will notice that avoiding HFCS is a pain in the ass though, because it is contained even in ketchup!

#297277 - 01/19/07 09:32 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Presently I am avoiding HF fruits so I only eat blueberries, kiwi, avacado and a few raspberries, I believe pineapple is low fructose but I find it really sweet. I only eat small amount of fruit - 1 kiwi or 1/3 cup blueberries for example. Agave nectar is fine for IBS but is very high fructose so if you have fructose sensitivity it is not good. Debbie IBS=C

low fructose results? new
      #297296 - 01/19/07 10:39 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you feeling less bloated and gassy with the lower amount of fructose?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: low fructose results? new
      #297323 - 01/19/07 02:29 PM
Christian Bale

Reged: 01/17/07
Loc: Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:

Are you feeling less bloated and gassy with the lower amount of fructose?

Hi, thanks for your response. I have only just started the diet-on Wednesday-so it's a bit too early to say. Up until then I was eating lots of fruit, principally apples, oranges, grapefruit and kiwi fruit and I have been very gassy and suffering from severe abdominal pain that was disrupting my sleep.

Regards

Tim

#297332 - 01/19/07 04:24 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Smuckers makes a low sugar version of several of their jams. It's made with sugar instead of HFCS. And they are very tasty.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3772 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1323

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review