All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Apple Cider Vinegar?
      #296924 - 01/16/07 10:50 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I have read in quite a few holistic books that ACV is great for digestive issues, including D... I just drank some with warm water and honey and it tasted pretty good and I also feel pretty good... we'll see how I feel in a little bit.
i was searching for IBS and ACV on google, and I found this really interesting page about folk remedies for D... let me know what you guys think! A lot of it is pretty contradictory to this diet, and I think probably works very well for some people but not all of course (nothing does!)... XO
http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_diar.htm

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar? new
      #296928 - 01/17/07 06:08 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You'll have to let us know how the vinegar thing works, if it works at all. Unlike some of the other remedies, they don't tell you how or why vinegar supposedly works. I know that some people claim vinegar is actually a trigger for them, although I've used it (in normal cooking) without problems for ages now.

What's amusing to me is that 99% of what they suggested is stuff my mother either did or told me to do from childhood onward. I shouldn't even say this on the boards, but I'm gonna anyway: a little red wine does wonders for an upset stomach!
But some of the other stuff, yeah, is very contrary, both to IBS diet and common sense, like the advice to take in dairy products and to avoid refined carbohydrates. When I have D, it's all about toast and broth, and that's about it.

#296981 - 01/17/07 10:28 AM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

I felt pretty good last night after the vinegar, and I did feel an attack coming on... but it's one of those things- I can't clone myself and see what I would have felt like having not taken it and having taken it... so who knows?
I have seen ACV reccomended A LOT for upset stomach. The main reason I have heard is that when we have some type of acid reflux, people usually think we have too much acid in our tums, so we take antacids. But the reality is that we dont have ENOUGH acid to digest certain foods, so our bodies overproduce acid in one big spurt. Drinking apple cider vinegar gives your body more acid and balances it out.... I am sure this can be found on google somewhere!
And red wine for me messes with my tum... but for other people I'm sure it works great! Also, an apple with the skin would probably send me into an attack.... even warmed up applesauce does that to me sometimes!

#296982 - 01/17/07 10:30 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Interesting link but don't you feel it's more for acute attacks of diarrhea, not for diarrhea from a functional bowel disorder?

Also, I think a few of these remedies may work for upset stomachs or an acute attack of diarrhea, which is very different from the chronic diarrhea you experience w/ IBS. I was reminded of old wives' tales because my grandmother used to give me wine (or a shot of whiskey!) or lemon when I was sick! (There were also some other remedies she'd try that made no sense whatsoever or tips on eating/drinking that didn't help. I would list them, but I'm afraid someone might actually try them.) While the wine and lemon may have helped settle an upset stomach, it only aggravated my diarrhea.

Some of the other remedies seem common enough: using the ingredients in Imodium, PeptoBismol, etc., following the BRAT diet for a few days (which is really similar to Heather's What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything), taking a probiotic, the herbal remedies (which Heather discusses in her book IBS THe First Year). I think these would better help someone with a chronic diarrhea/bowel condition. So those remedies aren't all that different from Heather's guidelines.

As far as homeopathy, I definitely don't know enough about it to comment on. Although I did get an homeopathic tea and herbal blend while in Spain. It didn't help much. Then a doctor there prescribed some sort of peppermint capsules and that really helped with the cramping and frequency of bms. I wish I remembered what the product was but that was 11 years ago.

THanks for the info. I like your new user pic! Cute!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1350

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review