All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Acacia; can you mix it with your drinking water and sip on it through the day
      #294347 - 12/21/06 09:40 PM
suzeemt

Reged: 11/25/06

or do you need to mix and drink it within a few minutes. In other words, does it lose its efficacy after being mixed with water if not drank within a certain amount of time

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia; can you mix it with your drinking water and sip on it through the day new
      #294349 - 12/22/06 01:33 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

That's a good question ... I mix it with my tea and drink it over 30 to 60 minutes. That doesn't answer your question, but I have been doing that regularly.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Acacia; can you mix it with your drinking water and sip on it through the day new
      #294358 - 12/22/06 04:42 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes but it doesn't taste good. I have seen Stevia makes safe flavorings now and maybe they would make water/acacia taste good.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#294364 - 12/22/06 05:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Most SFS have the greatest benefit when you consume the suggested amount for a single dose in a short period of time.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#294370 - 12/22/06 06:56 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I thought someone on this board said that she mixes her Acacia in her water ahead of time and drinks it throughout the day and I loved that idea and have been doing it, I make several and refrigerate them. I haven't noticed any odd taste, but maybe it's not as effective if done that way? I don't know, I wonder if Heather knows? Maybe doing it this way is my problem. To me it's easier to drink it throughout the day, that way I make sure I get my water intake.....hmmmm (scratching my head)

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#294374 - 12/22/06 07:51 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I often mix it in a water bottle and drink it throughout the day. It seems to work well especially if my meals/snacks are erratic from being busy outside the house. Also, the goal of an SFS is to have more soluble fiber continuously during the day. It is best to have it in small doses frequently to always keep your stomach soothed.

If I'm at home I prefer to mix it with foods just because I can taste it a bit in water.

--------------------
Kat

#294376 - 12/22/06 07:56 AM
K2

I'm not sure if that is the case for IBS. Heather suggests:
"Don't hesitate to divide your doses throughout the day however you like; it's always better to keep your gut constantly filled with soluble fiber, so several smaller doses are often much more helpful than a single large daily dose."

It makes sense to take your SFS in small doses frequently, as this will provide a nice buffer to other foods you eat during the day, and keep your stomach full of good SFS.

Of course, if you find a dosing schedule that works for you, stick to it.

--------------------
Kat

#294380 - 12/22/06 08:20 AM
LtDanFan

I mix it as well, I hope this is okay to do.....I feel like you said, to have the constant flow of SF in your gut throughout the day would make sense in keeping your GI tract flowing well.......I will continue to do it this way unless someone has a really good reason not too!! Thanks all for your help.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

I was going to add that new
      #294402 - 12/22/06 01:56 PM
Little Minnie

I think it is easier on you to break up doses than do 2 large ones like I do. I didn't like the taste in plain water but others might. I do find though that what you put your acacia in has to be finished. I don't always finish my water bottles and would have to do so if there was acacia in there. I take mine in cereal in AM and tea (or smoothie in summer) in PM or maybe choc soy milk. I have to always finish the cup or bowl to be sure to get the full dose.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I was going to add that new
      #294415 - 12/22/06 03:44 PM
LtDanFan

That makes sense LittleMinnie, I drink lots of water so finishing my water is not a problem for me, but when I eat cereal I don't drink the milk (soy/lactaid) that is left in the bottom, I usually give it to my dog or cat, so I'd miss my Acacia that way......it's so good to see what works for others may not work for you!!! That board is great

--------------------

#294419 - 12/22/06 04:08 PM
K2

Just wanted to point out that Lactaid is still dairy and a trigger, it should be avoided. It may be great for someone who is lactose-intolerant, but for someone with IBS, Lactaid milk is still a trigger.

--------------------
Kat

#294421 - 12/22/06 04:12 PM
LtDanFan

I know lactaid is supposed to be a trigger for IBS people, but I have never had a problem with lactaid. It has been a life saver because most of the soy milk, in my opinion, is disgusting........I don't know why I can tolerate it, but I do.

--------------------

#294446 - 12/23/06 05:25 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Lactaid is not a trigger for me - lactose is. I see from searching the board that dairy is not a trigger for everyone. It one of those foods that has to be tried to know for sure. I am thankful because I sure don't like the taste of soy or rice milk.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: LtDanFan - How do you know? new
      #294457 - 12/23/06 08:43 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm just wondering how you know Lactaid is not a trigger for you when you're still experiencing bloating, pain, and D? There have been other discussions on triggers and how their effects are not always immediate. Didn't you recently post about how no meds are working for you? Maybe you need to follow the IBS guidelines a little more carefully if you want to see real results; otherwise, you're just aggravating your IBS symptoms. I don't mean to sound preachy, but I was just really surprised to hear that you're still consuming dairy.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (12/23/06 08:47 AM)

Re: Some info from others on identifying triggers new
      #294459 - 12/23/06 08:54 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sand's Back to the Beginning Post

HTH.

#294461 - 12/23/06 09:36 AM
K2

If you're doing fine symptoms-wise and Lactaid isn't bothering you then great. But, it is still a trigger according to Heather's diet. "Dairy is an Irritable Bowel Syndrome trigger even if you're not lactose intolerant. It's simply not just the lactose. It's also not just the high fat content of most dairy products that can cause your IBS to flare. Even skim and lactose-free dairy can trigger IBS attacks."

For someone who is not stable, and is experiencing sporadic attacks, gas, pain, bloating, and D, then ALL dairy products need to be cut out. Doing the BTC diet should help, and then add the foods in one at a time to figure out what really is causing attacks. If after adding Lactaid back into your diet you notice more symptoms and discomfort then it's definetly a problem. Again I will stress for someone who is not stable, dairy needs to be cut out completely.

Some people have had success with the diet and added in dairy foods again. I have tried a few times to add dairy back into my diet, without success. I wish I was one of those who could tolerate it!

For taste, I really like the Silk chocolate milk. In fact I like it more than regular plain milk (I'm a chocoholic). Of course nothing beats regular chocolate milk, but oh well. Others have said Almond breeze chocolate milk is good too.

--------------------
Kat

Well said--nt new
      #294462 - 12/23/06 10:08 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: LtDanFan - How do you know? new
      #294474 - 12/23/06 12:53 PM
LtDanFan

I do follow the guidelines quite carefully, however for the past 3 years I have used and not used Lactaid and have not seen any change when I use it or when I don't. So eliminating it from my diet shows no difference, as I have gone without it for weeks on end and I still have/had attacks following the diet quite closely. Just like when I'm on the break the cycle or EFI diet and I still have attacks, how do you explain that when I'm following it to the tee, how do I know what particular thing is my trigger?
I don't know and I know that the few things I know are triggers I have tried and it has proven to be conclusive, the lactaid has not.

--------------------

milk proteins new
      #294478 - 12/23/06 01:07 PM
Little Minnie

The proteins in dairy products are hard to digest even if there is no lactose or if it is yogurt or cheeses.

--------------------

Re: milk proteins new
      #294479 - 12/23/06 01:13 PM
LtDanFan

Atleast now I have a reason the lactaid may not be tolerable, thank you Little Minnie. However there are people on this board who are stable and use lactaid?? I'm confused.

--------------------

Maria!Maria! Thank you. -nt- new
      #294487 - 12/23/06 02:31 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review