All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I believe yougurt is not helpful!!!
      #293843 - 12/15/06 04:35 PM
FuturRN'07

Reged: 12/11/06

For the last few days I have not had work or school, so I didn't eat the foods I usually eat on these days. This includes a light n fit yougurt and also an activia. (I did eat them after SF. and my tummy didn't get so irritated untill night time.) I had a great few days. Today though I did have the two yogurts and feel like garbage. So I am associating this with the yogurt. so why are there so many peopel who suggest yogurt for ichy tummies? i am wondering if any of you are able to eat yogurt. If so what kind? I have not found a fat free soy, not even anykind os soy yogurt for that matter. I was also wondering if instant oatmeal is ok or should I be getting the cook it kind?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I believe yougurt is not helpful!!! new
      #293848 - 12/15/06 05:52 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

People suggest yogurt for icky tummies because of the acidophilus. However, if you can't have dairy (allergy, EFI diet, etc.), it's not going to be at all helpful. It's better foir us IBS-ers to get our probiotics from pills. If you do a board search on "probiotics", you'll find lots of advice and commentary on various brands.
Most kinds of soy yogurt have live cultures. I like the Whole Soy yogurt. It's not fat free, but it is pretty low (about 13-16% calories from fat). The cherry is my favorite flavor. Silk is pretty good, too. But the Stonyfield Farms soy yogurt isn't so good. It tastes fine, but has a kind of slimy texture.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Yogurt = dairy = bad new
      #293855 - 12/15/06 06:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Please read the IBS Diet guidelines - all of them, including the information on trigger foods. Dairy products should always be avoided. I'm not at all surprised that you feel icky!

I've never found a fat-free soy yogurt either. Come to think of it, I've never found ANY soy yogurt that was the least bit palatable, but that's just me. LOL

Instant oatmeal will be fine, but be sure to get the plain (unflavored) variety. Many of the flavored ones have dairy in them, and you'd be surprised - it's not always the obvious flavors, either! If you can't find plain instant, go for "quick cooking" oats; they're cut up quite a bit finer than the rolled oats, and they may be a little easier to digest because of it.

Hope that helps!

Re: I believe yougurt is not helpful!!! new
      #293874 - 12/16/06 06:20 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

As has already been pointed out - read all the EFI guidelines. I have never had any IBS attacks directly after having dairy - except for when I had these yogurts you're meant to be able to drink in a hurry... Wow, dairy + cold + eaten really fast, I wonder why I got an attack...

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 664 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 548

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review