All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Milk substitutes
      #293431 - 12/13/06 09:00 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

In Heather's recommendations she says you should make sure the milk replacements you use don't have any added oil. But here in Sweden the only product that doesn't contain oil is soy milk and still that is the fattest of the alternatives. For example, in Sweden Rice Dream vanilla has 1.5 (weight) % fat, oatmilk has between 0.7 and 1.5 % fat, and soy milk typically has 2 % fat. So the oil containing alternatives are actually less fat than the soy alternative. At least if you go by weight. (I do think the same is true for E% though.) So is it really the oil content or is it the fat content that is interesting?

Is it ok to drink say rice milk on an empty stomach or do I need to eat SF before that too? It seems boring if you're never allowed to just have something to drink for a snack or when you're thirsty.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Milk substitutes new
      #293438 - 12/13/06 09:13 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I drink Soy milk on an empty stomach, or with a meal. I think most people agree rice milk is the easiest to tolerate.

I've never looked into oil/fat content of milk alternatives, so I'm not sure if I can be much help. But with IBS, the importance is the ratio of fat from calories:calories. Soy milk may have more fat, but it also may have more calories, and therefore it might be a safer ratio. Another good way is to look at the ingredient list, if oil is far down the list, then probably not much is used.

So for example, the soy milk I buy has 3.5g of fat and 140 calories per serving. 3.5g of fat * 9 = 31calories from fat. 31cal/140cal = 0.22. So this drink is 22% calories from fat, which is within range for IBS (15-25% is a good range).

For your info, the Rice Dream Vanilla (one that I checked on their webpage) has about 15% calories from fat, which is very safe.

So, if I were you, I would try out different milks alternatives until you find one that you like the taste of. They should be all safe, but if you get gas/bloating easily then rice, oat or almond milks might be better than soy.

Hope that helps, and welcome back!

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6043 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 307

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review