All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
What about Brown Rice Farina......HanSolo, anyone.....Safe or not
      #293047 - 12/09/06 05:10 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have posted that I'm having surgery december 15 and I am soooooo worried about my IBS it's driving me crazy. Well, I have had replies from several of the people on this list, which have been very helpful, HanSolo suggested oatmeal and brown rice after surgery and I found organic brown rice farina, would this be safe, has anyone every had or used this? PLEASE keep me in your thoughts and prayers (for those of you who pray)I am a nervous wreck. I've never had "major" surgery before and am sooo worried about the after affects on my intestinal tract.

Thanks,

C

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What about Brown Rice Farina......HanSolo, anyone.....Safe or not new
      #293048 - 12/09/06 06:28 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I am IBS-predominantly d and I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast or safe afternoon or evening meal if I am feeling unstable. I have only had brown rice a few times since on this diet and once I mixed it in with white rice so it wouldn't be so much IF. (I didn't have a major reaction, but I'm not totally stable yet to say how it affected me.)

However, both of these foods seem to be dependent on the individual so I would not try either one of them AFTER the surgery if you have not tried them before to see how you react. Do you ever eat oatmeal now for example? If so, then I don't see why that would be a problem. I love the oatmeal in particular b/c I use the brown sugar packets and I can just add water without stressing about soy/rice milk and then if I want to add more IF, I can add berries or raisins sparingly. I also eat cream of wheat frequently but some people sound like they would rather play it safer and have cream of rice. You need to trial and error a bit now with these foods so you don't introduce something new to your diet after surgery. Then you'll really be worried about how your tummy will react and that won't help at all. Hope that helps. Hang in there... a week to go and then YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS! (Surgery is a bit scary but you will be in good hands and remember what I said in an earlier post...it's no big deal at a hospital...you're supposed to be sick there and have all kinds of problems with your body...bowel movements being the least of them!)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: What about Brown Rice Farina......Line415 new
      #293058 - 12/10/06 05:51 AM
LtDanFan

Thanks,

Yes, I eat oatmeal everyday!!! Morning and sometimes evening. I have never had a problem with it. I just happened to come across the brown rice farina and wondered if it would be okay as a hot cereal alternative also, after surgery to keep me stable. I love oatmeal, but I do get tired of it from time to time. I have never seen cream of rice.......I guess I will have to look. Another person did post about mixing the white and brown rice, but the brown only has 2gm of Fiber per serving and I know the outer part is IF and the inner SF, so I wouldn't think it would be too harsh, than something like whole wheat, or cream of wheat, my tummy does not like wheat. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not as much worried about being sick in the hospital, it's the stabilizing after I get home....

C

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Wheat products new
      #293084 - 12/10/06 01:11 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do all wheat products hurt you...even white flour wheat? Or just the whole wheat?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Wheat products new
      #293093 - 12/10/06 02:17 PM
LtDanFan

NO, just whole wheat, I get very gasy and spastic. I can eat white flour just fine

--------------------

Re: Wheat products my answers didn't make sense... new
      #293098 - 12/10/06 02:45 PM
LtDanFan

I meant to type, yes I can eat white wheat flour just fine, whole wheat gives me gas and spastic colon.

--------------------

#293125 - 12/10/06 07:10 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I'm just wondering, when you get home, will you be able to stay home awile and recover? Or do you have to go back to work right away? As far as the foods go, I would stick to the things that you already know agree with you. I suggested before that you try a few new things out now, but the more I think about it, you are anxious and have a lot to worry about right now, so why throw something else new into the pot so to speak? Yes, oatmeal can get a bit boring, but at least you know it can get you through this ordeal. And I try to remember K2's advice: when she is a bit C, she adds more of the same IF that she knows is safe for her. For example, I know now that raisins will not give me d (surprisingly!) if I eat just a small quantity (exactly 9!) in my oatmeal. So if I am feeling C, my new plan of attack is to just add in let's say 12 raisins instead of eating oatmeal and then trying something new like a different kind of IF fruit. Also, how do you do with smoothies? I regularly make a banana/blueberry smoothie. Now I am feeling more confident/aware, so on days when I feel iffy, I use a whole banana and just a few berries. But on days when I feel a bit C, I add half a banana and more berries. See what I'm saying? Stick to what has been successful for you before.

Keep posting up until the surgery. We'll all be thinking of you!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#293129 - 12/10/06 07:30 PM
LtDanFan

Yes, I have a full six weeks off. I just graduated, (Yeah for Me). Sorry, I had to say good job, I have been attending college off and on for years and I finally graduate December 13.......So, the stress of school and finals and graduating also contributed to my spastic stress.
I do not have a job in my "new" field, so that works out well also!!! I never thought about raisins, cause it seems like anything with skin doesn't like my colon, however I do seem to do well with a small bit of nuts...go figure. I love mandarin oranges, but I ususally mix them with a banana, never alone. I was just trying to get my colon back into order the safest and fastest way I could, because I am Predominantly D, but when I am completely cleaned out, like I do for colonoscopies I don't go for 4-5 days after the procedure......that's when if get frantic. But to have the internal pain their already, on top of the C pain...
My biggest worry is having one of my D attacks, with the labor pain, sweating, nauseating, passingout, gut wrenching colon pain, while have the internal pain from the hysterectomy seems so unbearable. I KNOW I am worrying to much, but I think all of or most of us IBSers tend to worry as we have to live our lives around what we eat, which can be very frustrating!! I really just wondered if anyone had ever had any experience with the brown rice farina. I used to eat cream of wheat as a child, but that was before I knew the D was from IBS, I haven't had it since then. My biggest Fiber comes from oatmeal, sweetpotatoes, potatoes, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, carrots. I have only recently upped my IF, cause I have always been afraid of it and by upping the IF, I'm using the nuts, about 5 a day, cashews and pecans. I know oatmeal has some, I do eat green beans, which do not seem to bother me, and very, very cooked and smashed brocilli and cauliflower. I love progresso soup and the ones I buy all have good fiber ratios and seem to have safe ingredients, besides the vegies...
Since school is over, I have settled down a bit, but I am still a little overwhelmed and tend to be a little OCD and my mind is constantly thinking, thinking, thinking.......it's very frustrating. Thanks for the words, it does help when someone takes the time to read your posts and responds!!! You don't feel like a babbling idiot.

C

--------------------

Re: Sweetie.... new
      #293159 - 12/11/06 08:12 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Keep the brown rice handy. If you find you're constipated, then add it to your white rice. You're just going to have to wait and see how you do. You are going to be just FINE. I will pray for you. I have had major surgery, and the first few days are going to be rough, but you'll manage. Stock up on your SF, and keep the oatmeal and brown rice handy if you need a bit of help. Tons of water, also is good. You know what to do. If you get constipated, add some IF. Think of the IF foods that you already eat. Keep them on hand. Make sure they're cooked. If you're really worried, cook, peel, mash and puree to make them more gentle on your tummy. That way you'll get the IF, but you're making it as digestible as possible. Avoid the gassy foods like onion,garlic, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. Peas are probably a good bet. Just listen to your body.

You already know what to do. Have faith in your knowledge. I think it's the fear of the unknown that has you more worried than anything. You'll just have to wait it out and do what you think best. We'll be here for you after the surgery, too.
XOXO, with love and prayers,
Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: List of IF foods new
      #293163 - 12/11/06 08:18 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

web page There is a list of the IF.
Personally, I would try melons, peaches, pears, apricots, cooked tomato sauce (with noodles of course is a great mix of IF ad SF), and any other vegetable you enjoy - well cooked, such as peppers, peas, celery, tomatoes, etc.
Take the list with you.
Lots of luck, hon!
A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2966

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review