All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
acacia powder
      #292208 - 12/02/06 04:06 AM
Chandler

Reged: 12/02/06

The good news.....I am extremely grateful that the acacia powder has solved my IBS issues. Thank you!! The bad news?...A couple of well known nutritionists who write books claim that acacia "flocculates serum or precipitates protein serum, and it contains lectin and other agglutinin, is a metabolic inhibitor, and increases lectin activity and binding, and should, therefore be avoided by all people." How would you respond to this comment?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acacia powder new
      #292211 - 12/02/06 07:16 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You've been reading Dr. D'Adamo's eating for your blood type. if you're at tier 1, it is okay, but if you're at tier 2 it says to avoid it. Personally I don't think that's a good diet to follow.

#292224 - 12/02/06 08:12 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If Gracie is right that you're getting this from the eating for your blood type people, I don't have anything else to say except "balderdash". No offense, but I just can't get behind this idea.

The bottom line is that you have to choose your guru and you have to decide what's important to you. Without Heather's approach and Acacia, I had no life to speak of so I'm willing to risk all the terrible things people say will happen as a result of, for example, eating all that "white" food - white rice, white potatoes, white bread. If you think the eating for your blood type people are on the right track, then do what they say and see if it helps. I'm a big believer in judging an approach by its outcome and if you mix and match approaches you're not giving either one a fair test to see if it will actually help you.

BTW, when I looked up "flocculate" (web page) it cracked me up. There's just something about the visual of fleecy masses floating through my blood stream - I imagine little flocks of teeny-tiny sheep drifting along with the current.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292249 - 12/02/06 10:00 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

flocculates serum or precipitates protein serum, and it contains lectin and other agglutinin, is a metabolic inhibitor, and increases lectin activity and binding, and should, therefore be avoided by all people."

And exactly does that mean in plain english?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Gobble de Gook .... new
      #292261 - 12/02/06 10:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is nonsense. Acacia is not even absorbed through the stomach or intestinal wall. Maybe acacia does what they claim if you were to put directly into body fluids such as blood but I suspect other SFS would do the same thing too.

The quote can be found on the follow web site that makes claims that you should eat according to your blood type.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#292267 - 12/02/06 11:36 AM
Chandler

Reged: 12/02/06

For example, it makes red blood cells 'clump' together (stick together), and therefore, can cause anemia. Dietary lectins attach themselves to blood cells, causing havoc in the body. Again, I personally am not an expert, so do not know whether or not what I read about the acacia is true or not. I am simply asking you, and it appears that you have not heard of this. Can you ask Heather if she has heard of it?? Thanks, and have a great weekend. I appreciate your help. (-:

Bloodwork and Customer Support new
      #292338 - 12/03/06 09:13 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can talk to your doctor about this. He could do whatever bloodwork is necessary to check for anemia and, I would think, for clumping and presumably for the lectin problem. That would set your mind at rest.

You can also contact Customer Support at Heather's Tummy Care - I would think this qualifies as a product question: web page

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review