All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Thomas' new English Muffins
      #291989 - 11/30/06 09:44 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I was about to toast an English muffin today and I realized that the ones I bought which I thought were the original said "Now made with whole grain." So I read the ingredients and toasted a piece of french bread instead until I could post the ingredients here to see if they were safe.

They are as follows:
unbleached enriched wheat flour (flour, malted barley flour, reduced iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid), water, whole white wheat flour , farina, yeast, HFCS, salt, wheat gluten , preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid), soybean oil, nonfat milk , grain vinegar, monoglycerides, soy flour, whey , natamycin.

Some look questionable. What do you think? I thought the original plain version was okay but I never read the ingredients so I can't compare it to these. And as if it weren't confusing enough, now I'm wondering what the heck "whole white wheat flour" is? I know whole plus wheat is caution, but what about when the word "white" is thrown between them?

And while we're on the topic, I was wondering if there are any other flavors of English Muffins that are safe besides plain. I used to eat the multi-grain and I'm missing the flavor. I think I saw they have some kind of corn one out there??? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thomas' new English Muffins new
      #291994 - 11/30/06 10:05 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

LOL that's so frustrating!

I googled "whole white wheat flour" and it seems to be like whole wheat but made from white grains instead of red. So it should still have the IF in it. But, the muffins use regular white flour as well (first ingredient) so at worst this will be a mix of SF/IF. As for the rest of the ingredients, I would normally look for english muffins without milk ingredients. I wouldn't not eat these, but I also wouldn't make them an everyday 'safe' thing.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Thomas' new English Muffins new
      #292012 - 11/30/06 11:18 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I was SO MAD when I went to buy these to make Heather's stuffing for Thanksgiving!!! I could not find a single english muffin at Target that wasn't whole grain and didn't contain milk. UGH!!! I finally found some at Wild Oats (and they were much yummier anyway!).

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 986 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 346

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review