All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Thanksgiving diners???
      #291430 - 11/27/06 10:46 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Did anyone just eat the regular thanksgiving meal with triggers and everything? Just curious if anyone just went with the day....and are sorry, or not sorry, afterwards!

I actually ate totally, super safe...but I am sort of sorry I didn't eat some of the feast. I love Thanksgiving food!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanksgiving diners??? new
      #291435 - 11/27/06 11:29 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

We went out to eat, and I had salmon...very festive!

But, in the past, I've actually been pretty good. There are so many safe alternatives to make, that it was just too easy not to cheat. I've always had turkey breast, cranberry sauce, sweet potato (mashed or baked), Heather's corn bread, and my favorite for desset - Heather's chocolate banana cream pie!

Oh, but I did cheat the other night at the restaurant and got this cake called Dark Side of the Moon for dessert....man was it scrumptious! And, no probs from it. Yay!

#291442 - 11/27/06 12:13 PM
Jordy

Actually, salmon sounds really good.

There are lots of safe alternatives...if the hostess cooperates with you! Mine adds butter and milk to everything. And bastes the turkey in butter. Is that still safe turkey?

I miss my mom's stuffing, mashed potato, gravy, desserts. Oh my!!! Must stop this!

Your dark dessert sounds incredible. Glad no problems! Are you able to eat out a lot? (not to change the subject)!

--------------------

#291445 - 11/27/06 12:25 PM
*Melissa*

I'm not sure about the basting in butter part. I know I'd be wary of it. When I make my own, I use olive oil. And, of course don't eat the skin.

Hubby and I have been eating out so much lately, it's been pathetic! lol So, yes, I am able to. I take DE's and Equalactin every time I do, and I always have a supply of Beano and Lactaid, just in case anything seems iffy. Oh, and of course, my Phazyme.

I miss the stuffing too. That is one thing I won't mess with! I need to experiment with my own, but I'm too lazy. I know there are some safe alternatives, but most of those seem sweet with apples and raisins or something. I'm not into sweet stuffing! I do make my own mashed potatoes. I like to use plain soy yogurt...it makes them nice and creamy. And I actually found a gravy mix that is dairy free. Besides, hubby is Irish...we have to have potatoes!

LOL new
      #291446 - 11/27/06 12:30 PM
Jordy

Yep...irish and potatoes go together! I don't like the fruity stuffings either. Wish I did!

I found a safe gravy too....it's in a box made by pacific.

Equalactin? I thought you took Acacia.

--------------------

Re: LOL new
      #291449 - 11/27/06 12:44 PM
*Melissa*

Oh yeah, I do take acacia everyday. But I like to have the Equalactin in my purse in case I eat out...just to add some extra buffer.

Re: LOL new
      #291455 - 11/27/06 01:34 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I made a gravy that I think has very little fat. Just made it the ordinary way (drippings from turkey, not from a package) and put it in the fridge in a glass container. After it cooled down, the fat was the top layer and it had hardened, so I could take it away with a spoon (it was in a solid state, not liquid any more, cause it's saturated fat after all). The gravy is delicious and safe (I respond very badly to fat and I don't to my own gravy)

During Thanksgiving day, though, we were at our friends... they are italians and cook with unbelievable amounts of fat, you just can't imagine. I was sick after that, although i ate just a little bit (like the mashed potatoes were SO fat, I couldn't believe my eyes)... But I got better the next day, stability is so cool, I don't get sick for a whole week any more!

#291457 - 11/27/06 01:36 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I was just cooking for me, so I ate everything I wanted, but tweaked. All the good root veggies are SF, so that makes Thanksgiving easy, for me!

What I missed most was the whipped cream on top of the pumpkin pie.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Melissa and others...opinions about Equalactin and adding Acacia sporadically new
      #291492 - 11/27/06 05:37 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi Melissa. In a previous thread that Sand just recommended to me, someone else took Equalactin too and said it helped ward off an attack. I have only been on this diet for about 3 months (IBS-D, sometimes A)and I take Acacia three times/day (3 1/2 teaspoons total). If the Equalactin is just another SF, wouldn't it be the same thing to take some Acacia as a buffer too? Sometimes when I feel my bowels starting to get "looser" or more urgent/frequent, I wonder about taking more Acacia at that moment instead of taking an immodium. I'm not stable, but I'm doing pretty well with this amount of Acacia so do you think I should try the Equalactin for those in between times or difficult days? I was under the assumption that if you upped your SF too much, you could get gas (or even worse, d). I know in Heather's book, she says she sprinkles Acacia in a lot of things, not always measuring exact amounts and takes it right before going out to a restaurant. But she also warns that newbies get their bodies adjusted first. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#291495 - 11/27/06 06:01 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I was at my parents' place. I ate most everything, except that I stuck to the white meat and skipped the salad. However, since most of my immediate family is allergic to dairy, none of the food my Mom made had any in it. We always have a simple bread stuffing - no sausage, no fruit, no nuts. It does have a couple egg yolks and some margarine, but I did okay with it. The pumpkin pie was non-dairy but a little high in fat - I ate it anyway.
I survived for the most part. I was slightly constipated up until Friday and my tummy was feeling a little troubled on Saturday, but I had no major issues. Whew.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4509

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review