All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Melissa and others...opinions about Equalactin and adding Acacia sporadically new
      #291502 - 11/27/06 06:21 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You could definitely use the acacia as a buffer. The only reason I use the Equalactin is because I can carry it around and take it at any time with a quick chew and some water. If Heather eventually gets the acacia in pill/tablet form, I'm all over it!

I've never taken SFS if my tummy starts to feel uneasy though, so not quite sure how that would work. I have heard of others taking the Equalactin during something like that and feeling better, but I've never experienced that personally. When I start to feel like that, I reach for a hot tea and Buddy (my bean filled microwave heat pad) or a ThermaCare patch if I'm not at home. If that doesn't work, then I move on to imodium, and if things are really extreme, I take a Levsinex.

Anyway, yes, upping SF too much/fast can cause gas. So that could make you feel worse if you do end up overloading. If you try buffering for an outing, just do a little. You can always eat a roll/bread at a restaurant (usually) as a buffer also.

HTH

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanksgiving diners??? new
      #291508 - 11/27/06 06:36 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Sounds good. And how convenient that your family cooks/bakes dairy free. That helps you!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Ooh new
      #291509 - 11/27/06 06:37 PM
Jordy

What did you make yourself???

--------------------

How much Acacia do you usually take?-nt new
      #291510 - 11/27/06 06:38 PM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: Thanksgiving diners??? new
      #291511 - 11/27/06 06:39 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Yup, it does. Actually, I have the dairy allergy, too. I've been unable to eat dairy for more than half my life, but I've only had IBS since around April of this year. It made adjusting to the EFI diet really easy.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Re: Ooh new
      #291515 - 11/27/06 06:53 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I bastardized a bunch of recipes -- I was following the twice baked sweet potatoes, but completely left out the pineapple. It still tasted great. I made the 5 minute pumpkin pie, which is better the second day, after it's well-chilled. And then baked chicken, smashed potatoes, parsnips, and rutabaga.

The recipe challenge is actually kind of fun.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Re: Melissa and others...opinions about Equalactin and adding Acacia sporadically new
      #291520 - 11/27/06 07:39 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thank you. Maybe I'll try like a 1/4 teaspoon in a nervous situation and just see what happens. I just bought those Thermacare menstrual packs too for my period so I'll give them a try. Thanks for your advice:)

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#291523 - 11/27/06 07:45 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

If I have an attack, am going to a restaurant, or going to something that's making me nervous, I sometimes take more Acacia. Usually I take whatever doses are left for that day. Example, I usually have 6 tsp (2tbsp) in 3 doses in the day. So breakfast I'll have 2 tsp, before dinner 2tsp, night 2tsp. If I'm feeling queasy at lunch, I might take 3-4 tsp with a good amount of water or peppermint tea, and then none or 1 tsp at night. I usually don't go over my daily dose by more than 1 tsp.

Hope that helps give you some ideas.

--------------------
Kat

good to know. thanks..n/t new
      #291532 - 11/27/06 08:15 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: How much Acacia do you usually take?-nt new
      #291547 - 11/28/06 03:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Believe it or not, I only take 1 Tablespoon every morning in my cereal. Well, if I bake a quick bread or muffins, I'll add a tablespoon to it, so I get a tiny bit more if I have some. But, basically it's 1 Tbsp every morning. That's what works for me, and it ain't broke, so I'm not fixin it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6015 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4515

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review