All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I am so very confused but want to get better
      #290865 - 11/21/06 01:56 PM
lesleigh

Reged: 02/02/04

I have had to endure my second colonoscopy today and was told that the bleeding was due to a hemeroid, more than likely. They could not go all the way through the colon as I apparently demanded they stop (don't recall this at all!)

So I was sent home with another sheet on dealing with IBS. I have had this one before and also another dr gave me another version.

My confusion lies here, why is that the first thing recommnended is to up my insoluable fibre and then as I go through the information on here (and slowly as it is a lot of information) it seems to tell me the opposite?

Where should I start learning on here and how do i reconcile this site with what my doctor is teaching me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I am so very confused but want to get better new
      #290866 - 11/21/06 02:12 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome to the boards... you are not alone....but this will take some time while you learn. Start HERE and HERE spend some time reading.....

We are all here for you.... so after you have had to time to let this all soak in....come back and ask your unanswered questions.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Similar experiences new
      #290875 - 11/21/06 03:13 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

My confusion lies here, why is that the first thing recommnended is to up my insoluable fibre and then as I go through the information on here (and slowly as it is a lot of information) it seems to tell me the opposite?

I have had similar experiences over the past 25 years. I was bewildered too when I visited this web site. I applied what I learned from Heather and I found that managing the ratio of IF to SF to ensure there is much more SF than IF in every meal made a difference. I too wondered how GPs and GI docs had gotten it so wrong.

Being a scientist I began to read the IBS research literature. I found that scientists have only begun to understand the role of fibre in IBS. Doctors, generally speaking, use research evidence to guide their medical practices. The new findings about fibre have not found thier way into general clinical practice yet. I am sure the next generation of doctors will be better informed.

The confusion about what fiber is and its role in food and health runs much deeper than just the medical profession. A few years ago the Food Nutrition Board changed the definition of how fiber is defined for food and health. You can read more details in this message .

There is a great deal of confusion about the role of different types of fibre in IBS. Hopefully, this web site and the collective experience of this IBS community will give you more insight.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: I am so very confused but want to get better new
      #290889 - 11/21/06 04:13 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Boards.

Quote:

As you do the reading Shell suggests, you'll see that this site isn't really suggesting the opposite. You do need a good amount of Insoluble Fiber - especially if you're IBS-C - but you need Soluble Fiber to cushion it so your tummy will handle it well. When you have IBS your gut is very sensitive and Insoluble Fiber can be irritating. Soluble Fiber helps your digestive system get going smoothly and run well so the Insoluble Fiber won't give it fits.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5832 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 397

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review