All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Just need to vent
      #29080 - 11/26/03 08:56 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi everyone, I just feel the need to vent for a little while. With Thanksgiving coming I've been super careful about my IBS lately, because I really want to be able to enjoy the meal (or at least what I can eat of it!). Then of course I had to get my period yesterday, and now I'm feeling very yucky! Last night I had a piece of safe lemon bread and a mug of peppermint tea, and all of a sudden I felt so bloated and gassy I thought I was going to explode! I've honestly never seen my stomach that bloated and distended. I also had that feeling like I could have an attack at any moment, although luckily it never happened. I'm feeling a little better today, but I know I won't feel as comfortable eating Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow knowing that it's so close on the heels of an IBS problem. I just needed to vent, because I hate how my period always comes and screws things up, no matter how careful I am. Thanks for listening!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just need to vent new
      #29082 - 11/26/03 09:02 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Kree -

I feel for ya! Keep your chin up and try to stay positive.

I wonder (and this is just an idea) if you couldn't piggy back your pills to only get a period once every 3 months. I know Jen (angylroses) does that.

Maybe you could look into something like that and it may help you. You will want to check with your doctor because I know only certain pills can be piggy backed.

Take care of yourself and try to enjoy yourself tomorrow.

Don't worry too much because that will not help you.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#29085 - 11/26/03 09:10 AM
bauie25

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Iowa

Awwwww... I totally understand. Although I have not officially started Heather's diet yet (getting books soon, I hope?), I try to eat foods that have been safe for me in the past, and poof-- I'm a big 'ol balloon! I can sympathize with you right now, as I am in the midst of dealing with an attack (C all night and feeling D coming on, but still C??? <<very confused>>... ahhhhh!)

As for the period part-- that just doubles it all! Not only do you feel bloated from the IBS, but you "get" to be bloated either way... I always exercise when I feel like this, it seems to help?

Good luck with Thanksgiving tomorrow! Don't let this getcha' down!

I am really worried, as none of my relatives understand (I swear they think I am making it up... honestly, who has this many food intolerances...) and all the food will contain all my triggers (the ones I KNOW of). They use DAIRY in EVERYTHING (eek!). I think I'm just going to bring a seperate meal for myself and I don't care what any of them think. The worst part is one set of my uncle/aunt will make a big deal out of it-- and laugh and joke, then when they realize that I'm not joking they'll want to ask Q's (which I won't be up to giving) and still laugh at the answers and then it'll just ruin the day, b/c at the end it will have done no good... (I'm venting too... if you can't tell, sorry... usually I'm a better listener )

I'll stop now!

luvins...
Sarah

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

#29087 - 11/26/03 09:25 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey Kree,

I know exactly how you feel and can totally sympathize with you! I have the worst periods, which stresses my body out and triggers my IBS. Like Lana said, my doctor did give me permission to "piggy back" my birth control pills which helps a lot - only have to worry about it every 9 weeks.

A couple days before I know my period is going to start, I go to the bland diet just to be on the safe side. Then in the first couple days when my cramps are the worst, I stick to bland safe foods, peppermint tea, motrin, and heating pads. Then towards the end, I start to go back to my regular diet.

Unfortunately - this is probably not what you want to hear with Thanksgiving tomorrow. My best advice if you really want to eat some of the feast tomorrow is to stick to bland foods for today and tomorrow morning, and get plenty of rest. That way your body isn't stressed by the time dinner rolls around tomorrow and maybe just go for it?

Hope this helps a little!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Just need to vent (Me too!) new
      #29112 - 11/26/03 10:15 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Kristen, We here who care are hearing you loud and clear!!! I have the utmost empathy and respect for all of you young women (and men) who have this condition at such a young age. I just don't know how you all do it. Combine the IBS with the pressures and stresses of jobs, careers, school, moves, and families and you have an enormous task of just getting by day to day. It must take all the mental, not to mention physical courage you have to move forward in your lives.

Tomorrow marks the one year point of having IBS hit me, and hit me hard. It was after going to a lovely Thanksgiving buffet, something we've done many times in the past. It was the normal overeating route for me….the one that most people take. You know, come home, be miserable, take a pepto-bismal and get over it. Not this time. I was in such pain I walked the perimeter of our back yard for most of the night trying to get the pains to go away. They didn't. From then on it was tests and doctors, doctors and tests. I started feeling like the Discovery channel. All the tests came out negative, and I was relieved at that but still at a loss as to what was causing all the pain. It was 6 months later I finally found a gastro (my second by then) that positively diagnosed me and started me in the right direction. Combine that with Heather's approach and I could finally see how this thing called IBS could be managed. Why, in my middle age I developed this horrid condition I'll never know. I don't focus on that only the good that has come out of it all. However, tomorrow I think I will stay put, watch TV, relax, dine on cream of rice all day, listen to my 56th day of the IBS Audio 100 CD, reflect, and be very, very THANKFUL for all that life has given and still has to offer!

Kristen, I wish you and all here an enjoyable, IBS attack free Thanksgiving.

Kandee

--------------------

#29154 - 11/26/03 10:58 AM
Kree

Thanks for listening, everyone!

Lana and Jennifer, thanks for your advice! I think I'll ask my gyno about the possibility of piggybacking my pills next time I go in. It can't hurt to ask! And I'm taking your advice and eating the blandest foods I can think of today. So far all I've eaten is a piece of toast, some peppermint tea, and honeycombs! But don't worry, I'm feeling better, and I refuse to let this stress me out and make things worse!

Kandee, happy IBS anniversary... not a very festive event, is it? Thanks for your praise, but I don't think it's any more difficult for us young folk to deal with IBS than it is for you. It's a tough thing to have at any age! I think we do pretty well for ourselves given the circumstances, though!

Bauie, I hope you're able to enjoy your Thanksgiving celebration tomorrow! I know what you mean about relatives that don't understand! Most of my relatives are great about my food intolerances, but I do have a story to share. I decided to make my own safe pumpkin pie and bring it, because it's just not Thanksgiving without pumkin pie and I don't want to risk eating the dairy one. Anyway, my mom called up my great aunt, who's having the dinner at her house, and told her I would be bringing my own pie. She said, "Oh, I didn't realize Kristen didn't like my pumpkin pie!" My mom tried to explain to her that I loved her pie, but just couldn't eat it anymore. But sure enough, later in the conversation she commented, "I still can't believe Kristen doesn't like my pie." Argh! Talk about hearing what you want to hear! So tomorrow I'm going to have to emphasize very strongly that I love her pie!!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#29161 - 11/26/03 11:10 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Kree - glad you're starting to feel better. Don't let the stress of wanting to feel better make you feel worse - I hate that vicious cycle! Just relax the rest of the day, sip your tea, and look forward to defending your own pie tomorrow! I think Lana & Jennifer's piggyback idea sounds great! If I was still on the pill, I'd consider it myself.

Bauie - good luck with the family! I can COMPLETELY relate to that! I totally dread family affairs where certain members will be, because they're rude and obnoxious. I have not even bothered to tell them of my problems. I just make myself as unobvious as possible. Tomorrow I get to spend the meal at my mom's with all of my stepdad's family, and I can't even stand them. The only reason I'm going is to spend time with my mom and my sister. They're worth the sacrifice! Good luck with your family!

Kandee - Happy Anniversary to you - mine is coming up next month! Enjoy your day of relaxation.

#29176 - 11/26/03 01:01 PM
Kree

Thanks Mags! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too. That's very nice of you to put up with your stepdad's family for your mom and sister's sakes. Good luck tomorrow!

--------------------

#29210 - 11/26/03 06:35 PM
DianeC

Reged: 10/09/03

My IBS is Always worse with my period--I actually plan for it. I don't remember if it's in Heather's book or if I read it somewhere else or if my Dr. told me--ANYWAY, menstruation seems to make the symptoms worse--something to do with hormones. Try to relax and enjoy the day. Maybe just don't eat one big meal--spread it out? I notice you are from Rochester, NY--me too! We moved here a year ago--are there any IBS support groups around?

#29216 - 11/26/03 06:57 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I'm sorry for all of you that have to deal with nonunderstanding relatives!! I'm going to my sil's, and my husband's family are all very supportive-I'm making my own sweet potatoe the safe way and regular way. I did talk to my mil about her gravy-it's wonderful, but there's no way it won't bother me-I'm bringing my own. Enough about me- Have the thanksgiving you think you should have!! I'll be thinking about all of you! And happy anniversary!!

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review