All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Getting ready to go to dinner party , stomach rumbling and bloated already
      #289739 - 11/11/06 12:48 PM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

What should I take (non prescription) I ate a good lunch 3 hours ago and now I am feeling bloated and gassy. My stomach is rumbling and the discomfort is starting. What should I take? A pepto bismal? Dinner party in 3 hours. I dont need to be farting at a dinner table....oh my god!! I have been going great all week following the IBS diet. Taking a Jarrow probiotic and dig enzymes as well before dinners.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting ready to go to dinner party , stomach rumbling and bloated already new
      #289743 - 11/11/06 01:25 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

If you're like me, the thought of what might happen at the dinner party is what is stressing you, causing (or at least making worse) any discomfort you are having in the belly. I know...it is just ridiculous that we can't go out and enjoy ourselves like everyone else does without a second thought. Instead of being excited...here you are feeling anxious about your IBS. That was me yesterday. I ate a safe breakfast and a lunch with some IF but nothing out of the ordinary. Then the more I thought about our plans last night (just to go to a neighbor's house for dinner two houses away!), I started having a mild panic attack (as compared to when I have to go further away!). I wound up taking two immodium after a few bowel movements. I didn't have d but it gave me piece of mind. However, if I remember from previous posts, I think you might be IBS-C. I am d primarily so the immodium helps but maybe it would make you feel constipated and more gassy. Another person with c could tell you better. I also have a "tranquilizer-type" pill that I take in dire emergencies (can't remember the name)...I wish I could take it more often but I don't want to get addicted or dependent. I know it's so hard...try to take a deep breath and tell yourself that you have eaten safely (I would have another SF snack now too) and preplan an excuse to leave...that will make you feel like you have more control. (You could just say that you feel nauseous). I'm sorry you're feeling this way...I hope you manage to have a good evening.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Getting ready to go to dinner party , stomach rumbling and bloated already new
      #289744 - 11/11/06 01:30 PM
Joannelcoq

Thanks so much. Im IBS-D. Im not stress at all. Im have been so happy that I have been feeling great all week and no episodes. I have been going out without worry. Today, Im uneasy. I am baking all kinds of desserts to bring over (and no sampling) I just took a pro-biotic. Do you think a premature immodium or a pepto. Right now no D and no BM alll day. Just the bloating inside the stomach sounds. Thanks alot.

QUICK.....WHAT SHOULD I TAKE??? new
      #289750 - 11/11/06 02:33 PM
Joannelcoq

Re: QUICK.....WHAT SHOULD I TAKE??? new
      #289754 - 11/11/06 03:49 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

This is what I'd do: I'd take 1/2 Imodium and drink some hot tea (peppermint, chamomile, or fennel, if you have any). If you still have a lot of gurgling in 1/2 - 1 hour, take the other half of the Imodium.

Re: QUICK.....WHAT SHOULD I TAKE??? new
      #289756 - 11/11/06 04:02 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Immodium and a slice of sourdough bread, and another slice of sourdough bread just before I went in to eat.

Sorry if this is too late. Hope it went okay.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

peppermint capsules new
      #289758 - 11/11/06 04:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

and a strong cup of fennel tea to wash the bloat out. If the pep caps weren't enough then immodium.

Sorry this is late, but next time...

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: QUICK.....WHAT SHOULD I TAKE??? Night over...ok new
      #289791 - 11/12/06 07:39 AM
Joannelcoq

Thanks guys. I survived. They served everything with cheese in it. I mean everything! I took probiotics, a lactaid pill and a digestive enzymes. After dinner, I had a cup of Yogi's Digestive Tea which is mostly licorice and fennel and not that strong. I was gassy and bloated all night but no "D" which is the scariest part. I was a little uncomfortable. Everyone was high on wine and I was the boring one. Now, What does sourdough bread do? ....and does the immodium help with the spasms and gas?? Thanks

Would SOMEBODY explain what Good is SourDough bread?? new
      #289833 - 11/12/06 04:32 PM
Joannelcoq

Re: Would SOMEBODY explain what Good is SourDough bread?? new
      #289834 - 11/12/06 04:35 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

It is a safe SF food. See the Soluble fiber foods list.

--------------------
Kat

I know its SF but so is any other safe bread or cracker. right? new
      #289839 - 11/12/06 07:39 PM
Joannelcoq

Re: I know its SF but so is any other safe bread or cracker. right? new
      #289841 - 11/12/06 07:54 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

For me sourdough bread is good because it is SF and I munch on it to keep something in my system and it also keeps me from eating too much of anything else. When I eat food that will most likely bother me I start with sourdough and and keep sf moving through my system through out the meal.

I snack on sourdough, french bread, bananas, carots, and rice regularly before I eat anything else.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#289843 - 11/12/06 07:59 PM
K2

Oh yeah not just sourdough bread. I mostly eat french bread or plain white bread you buy at the gorcery store. I haven't found too many safe crackers so I don't bother with those. A lot of crackers have whole grains.

Sourdough bread was just one suggestion.

--------------------
Kat

#289845 - 11/12/06 08:02 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Carr's Table Water Crackers are pretty good. They have only 14% calories from fat.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#289872 - 11/13/06 07:26 AM
Joannelcoq

Whole grains? Im confused. Isnt that insoluble and a trigger when eaten alone? This whole grain, whole wheat, wheat flour thing has me all confused. Thanks for your help.

#289873 - 11/13/06 07:28 AM
K2

Whole grains are IF. Simply check the ingredient list on crackers to see what they have.

Whole grain, whole wheat, are IF.

Wheat flour, flour, enriched flour or anything that says 'flour' is SF.

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1003 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3277

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review